• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where would the Panthers be if they sat Bryce Young last season?

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

Oh my god please post any reference to this.  This might be the most wildly dishonest assertion I've seen on these boards in a while.  Here is what Reich actually said for anyone who cares about facts:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-frank-reich-says-using-andy-dalton-in-short-yardage-spots-can-limit-bryce-youngs-exposure/

I mean, give me a second and I will go find the audio on Frank saying it.   Pretty sure it was in his post game presser.  It was talked about on this board.  Probably a thread or two on that as well.  

What you are referencing is him addressing it again on a Monday.  Where he largely knows what the media is going to ask and prepares responses for those questions.  And in the quote you are showing he cleans up what he said. 

If Bryce had sat the first year and Dalton had played, then we would have learned nothing. Nothing.

And we'd be going into 2024 awaiting the disaster that we just had. 

About the only difference would be that perhaps Chicago wouldn't have gotten their pick of QBs and Pittsburgh wouldn't be looking at grabbing Odifer-Russ and Justin-there-to run-around-the-Fields on the cheap.

3 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Oh my god please post any reference to this.  This might be the most wildly dishonest assertion I've seen on these boards in a while.  Here is what Reich actually said for anyone who cares about facts:

Here you go, this is what I referenced.  Nothing wildly dishonest about what I said at all.     Go to the 2:40 mark with Sheela going at him in a non-prepared statement.    Shenna goes at him and asks if they are inserting Dalton because they are worried about Bryce's size.  That everyone is viewing it that way. Frank says it's not about size, limiting hits, safety concerns, etc.   Frank starts pimping some strategic reason that Andy can do MORE than one thing (implying Bryce limited them) and forces a D to play it different.   

We think it adds a little bit of mystery and surprise.  And to keep defenses off balance.  Why are they bringing this guy in. 

Strategic reasons. 

They could do more than one thing, that's what Andy gives us

He can do multiple things.

l

wildly dishonest IMO....is pretending Bryce Young wasn't limiting our O last year.  Frank told us multiple times Bryce was limiting what he could do.  Short yardage and his admission he added different pass plays downfield for Andy.  Then there was the eyeball test on Bryce.  Does he have strengths? Sure.  Does have have limitations in the NFL? 100% Yes. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Here you go, this is what I referenced.  Nothing wildly dishonest about what I said at all.     Go to the 2:40 mark with Sheela going at him in a non-prepared statement.    Shenna goes at him and asks if they are inserting Dalton because they are worried about Bryce's size.  That everyone is viewing it that way. Frank says it's not about size, limiting hits, safety concerns, etc.   Frank starts pimping some strategic reason that Andy can do MORE than one thing (implying Bryce limited them) and forces a D to play it different.   

We think it adds a little bit of mystery and surprise.  And to keep defenses off balance.  Why are they bringing this guy in. 

Strategic reasons. 

They could do more than one thing, that's what Andy gives us

He can do multiple things.

l

wildly dishonest IMO....is pretending Bryce Young wasn't limiting our O last year.  Frank told us multiple times Bryce was limiting what he could do.  Short yardage and his admission he added different pass plays downfield for Andy.  Then there was the eyeball test on Bryce.  Does he have strengths? Sure.  Does have have limitations in the NFL? 100% Yes. 

Lol.

I asked you to show me where Frank said Dalton presented a much greater threat than Bryce Young (your words) and you give me your interpretation of something completely different that he said. Most normal people would listen to Reich there and see that as standard coachspeak conveying confidence in his back-up QB and your brain translates that into Reich calling out Bryce’s limitations. No poo he’s gonna say Andy can do more than one thing…why the hell would Reich say to everyone “hey if you see Andy coming in on 4th and short, IT MEANS QB SNEAK!”. If your interpretation is correct, then you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think that’d be a headline in multiple articles across multiple publications. Yet not a single site reported on it or even referenced anything he said here…that’s why you had to dig deep to find the source material rather than a single reference to it from an outside source. There’s a reason why The Huddle was the only place talking about it lol we are totally known for our rational levelheaded takes and NOT sensationalizing everything like it’s a damn soap opera (cue the pic of Nicole Tepper hugging Bryce).

I guess I could claim “CRA says he thinks Bryce Young is trash and a huge bust” and if anyone asks me to source you saying that, I’ll just give my own multiple paragraph interpretation breaking down one of your posts.

Btw having a difference of opinion is not being “wildly dishonest”…what a crazy suggestion for a mod of a discussion board to make. Claiming someone said something that they didn’t say? Yeah that’s being objectively dishonest.

3 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Sure buddy, I am sure you heard that.  Tell us where you did?  Tepper threw the drink after bryces int

there was a report days AFTER stating it was cause of a injury to a panther player.

just about everyone claimed BS. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Basbear said:

there was a report days AFTER stating it was cause of a injury to a panther player.

just about everyone claimed BS. 

Yeah I remember that. I think that’s all the other poster was mentioning. Probably a little Panthers PR. I guess the fan could have cheered for injuries earlier and the INT cheer pushed him over the edge but who knows….

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I'm gonna have to say it.

Now let me make it crystal clear I was for years and remain a very vocal supporter of Cam Newton. I will forever be thankful to him for what he did for the soul and culture of this franchise in his best years. He brought us life and purpose.

But moving onto the Bryce Young situation. I just felt absolutely zero pushback or even a hint or a simple suggestion from him or Steve Smith Sr of "Hey Panthers maybe CJ Stroud is getting a raw deal in the media take another look let's be real sure before making this decision". But no. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Now that he's got a YouTube channel he's got everything to say? Brother you should have spoke up a year ago. Your words carry weight. I still love him and Steve. It's just disappointing that's all I can say. They didn't make the pick it wasn't their call at the end of the day but they could have said something in defense of CJ. This after the fact mess isn't it. That's all I've got to say.

• Beer 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, frankw said:

Now let me make it crystal clear I was for years and remain a very vocal supporter of Cam Newton. I will forever be thankful to him for what he did for the soul and culture of this franchise in his best years. He brought us life and purpose.

But moving onto the Bryce Young situation. I just felt absolutely zero pushback or even a hint or a simple suggestion from him or Steve Smith Sr of "Hey Panthers maybe CJ Stroud is getting a raw deal in the media take another look let's be real sure before making this decision". But no. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Now that he's got a YouTube channel he's got everything to say? Brother you should have spoke up a year ago. Your words carry weight. I still love him and Steve. It's just disappointing that's all I can say. They didn't make the pick it wasn't their call at the end of the day but they could have said something in defense of CJ. This after the fact mess isn't it. That's all I've got to say.

He did speak a year ago. 
https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/27/cam-newton-touts-bryce-young-panthers-no-1-nfl-draft-pick#:~:text=Add Cam Newton to the,in the 2023 NFL draft.

He is talking about hindsight now. He said Young will take time and CJ came out on fire. Before the draft he was all about Young though. 
Smith also wanted Young. 

Edited by ForJimmy
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

Oh I agree, I'm irritated that all of sudden these media folks now want to tell the truth on bryce and Cj. I am someone thats convinced that the FO made the pick off heavy media influence. Greg Cosell just did a interview with  the roar and he pretty much peeled bryce back.

• Beer 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He did speak a year ago. 
https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/27/cam-newton-touts-bryce-young-panthers-no-1-nfl-draft-pick#:~:text=Add Cam Newton to the,in the 2023 NFL draft.

He is talking about hindsight now. He said Young will take time and CJ came out on fire. Before the draft he was all about Young though. 
Smith also wanted Young. 

Yes he spoke up and maintained the same (let's be honest here) drone take as anyone else in mainstream media that didn't want to go against an Alabama QB.

But it was perfectly fine to drag Stroud through the mud even though he did everything asked of him throughout the process.

Some of the ignorant assumptions being made and thrown at CJ Stroud were also similar to what was thrown at Cam Newton before his draft.

Again. Cam had the opportunity to speak up. He didn't. That's all there is to it.

Anything said now is just a flip flop IMO.

Edited by frankw

Just now, frankw said:

Yes he spoke up and maintained the same (let's be honest here) drone take as anyone else in mainstream media that didn't want to go against an Alabama QB.

But it was perfectly fine to drag Stroud through the mud even though he did everything asked of him throughout the process.

Some of the ignorant assumptions being made and thrown at CJ Stroud were also similar to what was thrown at Cam Newton before his draft.

Again. Cam had the opportunity to speak up. He didn't. That's all there is to it.

Anything said no is just a flip flop IMO.

He just gave his opinion. Cam kind of calls it like he sees it. Got backlash calling Purdy the game manager he is and now Cam isn’t afraid to say he was wrong about Bryce being QB1. Anyone will tell you Stroud should have been the pick using hindsight. 
Why is going against an Alabama QB a big deal vs an OSU QB? I’m confused by this as I believe Young was the first Bama QB to go 1 overall. Mac didn’t, Tua didn’t, Hurts didn’t even make round 1? I think maybe just maybe Young was a top QB to a lot of people/analysts. I know you and I plus a lot of people on here wanted Stroud but I believe Young was ranked QB1 more times than not. 
Regardless Stroud still went 2 and to a better team/coach. It worked out in his favor as he is now a new face of the NFL vs Young still being a question mark or even written off by some. 

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

He just gave his opinion. Cam kind of calls it like he sees it. Got backlash calling Purdy the game manager he is and now Cam isn’t afraid to say he was wrong about Bryce being QB1. Anyone will tell you Stroud should have been the pick using hindsight. 
Why is going against an Alabama QB a big deal vs an OSU QB? I’m confused by this as I believe Young was the first Bama QB to go 1 overall. Mac didn’t, Tua didn’t, Hurts didn’t even make round 1? I think maybe just maybe Young was a top QB to a lot of people/analysts. I know you and I plus a lot of people on here wanted Stroud but I believe Young was ranked QB1 more times than not. 
Regardless Stroud still went 2 and to a better team/coach. It worked out in his favor as he is now a new face of the NFL vs Young still being a question mark or even written off by some. 

Cam then is not Cam now. Cam now is fully embracing being another media talking head. The hot take brand of sports talk. I'm all for it because I enjoy him. But that's not for everyone and it's not breaking the mold either. But when Cam said what he said about Bryce and didn't say anything about CJ was before this new foray into media that he's in.

It's fine to be wrong. There were a lot of people here wrong. They showed their ass about the pick and now some of them are either rambling about haters or they have gone missing.

Where we go from here is what we've talked about adnauseum. Bryce either shows something to justify why he was the first pick or it's next man up in 2025.

But whether it's Cam or whomever. My personal opinion is if you weren't saying it 12 months ago I don't wanna hear it now.

We'll just agree to disagree.

Edited by frankw

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Lol.

I asked you to show me where Frank said Dalton presented a much greater threat than Bryce Young (your words) and you give me your interpretation of something completely different that he said. Most normal people would listen to Reich there and see that as standard coachspeak conveying confidence in his back-up QB and your brain translates that into Reich calling out Bryce’s limitations. No poo he’s gonna say Andy can do more than one thing…why the hell would Reich say to everyone “hey if you see Andy coming in on 4th and short, IT MEANS QB SNEAK!”. If your interpretation is correct, then you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think that’d be a headline in multiple articles across multiple publications. Yet not a single site reported on it or even referenced anything he said here…that’s why you had to dig deep to find the source material rather than a single reference to it from an outside source. There’s a reason why The Huddle was the only place talking about it lol we are totally known for our rational levelheaded takes and NOT sensationalizing everything like it’s a damn soap opera (cue the pic of Nicole Tepper hugging Bryce).

I guess I could claim “CRA says he thinks Bryce Young is trash and a huge bust” and if anyone asks me to source you saying that, I’ll just give my own multiple paragraph interpretation breaking down one of your posts.

Btw having a difference of opinion is not being “wildly dishonest”…what a crazy suggestion for a mod of a discussion board to make. Claiming someone said something that they didn’t say? Yeah that’s being objectively dishonest.

I literally linked Frank saying it in his own words. 

Frank said he put Dalton in on 4th down because Dalton gave him more options than Bryce did in that scenario.   And Frank was being pressed on the why by Shenna. 

the very next week, Frank acknowledged he also altered the pass gameplan and gave Dalton deep balls that weren’t there for Bryce. 

I merely threw your own language back at you….when you declared my requoting of Frank as the most wildly dishonest post you have ever seen lol. Think you are being a tad sensitive there boss.