• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone actually think Bryce will actually be good?

24 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Yes. Both players were undersized compared to NFL standards, who had to prove themselves in the NFL. 

Was 3 years for Steve Smith. 

Mills had a longer route. 

That is a legitimate comparison, I don't care what you think. 

I never once compared their careers. 

Learn how to fuging read. 

I think you example/argument applied entering last season. 

Both were doubted because of their size, BUT when both were given opportunity to play...they just people up and maximized it. 

Bryce Young did not do what they did when given the opportunity to.  

I think the window you are referring to has come and gone.  The pre-NFL arrival size talk.  That's not the convo given we are talking about actual play and what they showed.   So none of that matters anymore.  89/Mills got the opportunity and started proving folks wrong from year 1.  More opportunity, the more people continued to look stupid (as in 89).  That's not Bryce.  Bryce is the opposite, the size questions aren't being proven wrong but reinforced with him to date. 

• Flames 1

I don’t remember Mills from the USFL days just when he was in NO. 

But when you saw Smitty it screamed oh yeah, this guy has something. Immediately.

So, have not seen anything that dramatic with Young. All I know about him says he is solid with his character and smarts and don’t see a lot of that translating into screaming he really has something.

I think the people that say he could possibly acceptably run an offense designed around him, with top flight talent in support, are probably about right. But I can’t see any Pro Bowls or lofty accomplishments in my crystal ball. 

• Beer 1

Posted (edited)

Smith had 3 ST TDs and only 20 targets as a rookie WR. I still remember one play he went deep, beat his coverage and just couldn't come down with it. He was so pissed and they stopped going to him much after that. Yeah he flashed that year and also showed he needed to keep working. 

It's a bad comparison. Go watch a video of both's rookie years and tell me they are the same or close...And if Bryce was drafted in the 3rd also then we wouldn't be having this conversation because we would all be talking up the #1 QB pick this year.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

Yes. Both players were undersized compared to NFL standards, who had to prove themselves in the NFL. 

Was 3 years for Steve Smith. 

Mills had a longer route. 

That is a legitimate comparison, I don't care what you think. 

I never once compared their careers. 

Learn how to fuging read. 

And again with something completely out of touch with the reality of what your posts are doing, which is creating potential parallels between Smith, Mills, and Bryce. And yet you argue that you aren't...

Your posting attitude has sucked for a good while but has hit insufferable lately. Blech. Happy Thursday. 

Toy Story Pity GIF

17 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Smith had 3 ST TDs and only 20 targets as a rookie WR. I still remember one play he went deep, beat his coverage and just couldn't come down with it. He was so pissed and they stopped going to him much after that. Yeah he flashed that year and also showed he needed to keep working. 

It's a bad comparison. Go watch a video of both's rookie years and tell me they are the same or close...And if Bryce was drafted in the 3rd also then we wouldn't be having this conversation because we would all be talking up the #1 QB pick this year.

And he still showed more glimpses of special in that time than our boy did in 16 games. Bottom line. 

If they had only invested a 3rd on Young, my attitude would be much less critical. He needs to come out smokin’ afaic.

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, KSpan said:

And again with something completely out of touch with the reality of what your posts are doing, which is creating potential parallels between Smith, Mills, and Bryce. And yet you argue that you aren't...

Your posting attitude has sucked for a good while but has hit insufferable lately. Blech. Happy Thursday. 

Toy Story Pity GIF

Let's keep it chill.  Same goes for the Claw guy, especially.  

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

Just to answer the question plainly : Yes I do. I think Bryce is going to prove the doubters wrong and all the naysayers will line up with their excuses and won't eat the crow. Kids gonna ball. 

As an honest question here, what level of performance "proves the doubters wrong"? Guy was the #1 overall pick and came at a tall price. I fully expect him to achieve Bridgewater-like numbers and eventually be at that level of player, but that sure doesn't justify the #1 overall and doesn't prove anyone wrong. Are we talking something like consistent years of top 10 QB play as the threshold for "proving the doubters wrong"?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Posted (edited)

We should be expecting a fair return for the top shelf price. Which is a top shelf franchise changing player.

edit: Honestly, I will never believe Reich chose Young over those other QBs, given the scenario. His background and history. I believe for some reason, he lied because he can’t say i didn’t want this kid. The QB he has to coach. 

I would just have to see him come out now post employment, and say one way or the other, but the ‘wrong’ answer would damage Young which he would not want to do, and he probably wants to keep being paid by Tepper so that isn’t likely to happen. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

53 minutes ago, KSpan said:

As an honest question here, what level of performance "proves the doubters wrong"? Guy was the #1 overall pick and came at a tall price. I fully expect him to achieve Bridgewater-like numbers and eventually be at that level of player, but that sure doesn't justify the #1 overall and doesn't prove anyone wrong. Are we talking something like consistent years of top 10 QB play as the threshold for "proving the doubters wrong"?

I mean, being with the #1 overall pick and proving the doubters wrong I think are 2 separate things 

1.  Bryce will most likely never be worth the pick 

2.  Can he prove people wrong? Well, that’s not that tall of an order.   He can be a middle tier starting QB I think does that.  11-16ish range.  Like a healthy Alex Smith.   I think he can in the right situation.  Situation and fit is what most of the NFL boils down to

Sam Mills

Steve Smith

Bryce Young

All smaller athletes, that have a passion for the game.

All told they are/were too small for the NFL. 

These are all facts.

The only thing that separates these men, is 1 of them is in the midst of proving he belongs. 

21 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Sam Mills

Steve Smith

Bryce Young

All smaller athletes, that have a passion for the game.

All told they are/were too small for the NFL. 

These are all facts.

The only thing that separates these men, is 1 of them is in the midst of proving he belongs. 

There is nothing incorrect or wrong with what I have plainly stated. 

Any disagreement is going to be strictly an opinion of another,, that has nothing to do with these facts. 

I don’t think being taken 1st overall tells Young he is too small. Fans thought so. It is a factor you can’t say it isn’t. 

The other guys overcame it.

You seem to be proclaiming he will. Your opinion.