• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Foxhole: Norwood a DPR

scpanther22

I got chills reading that. Can't wait. I really didn't think we'd pick Eric up but I think the FO has recognized the strength of the Gamecock defense. ;)

This defense needs Woodsball badly. Any of you guys that were involved last year heard any news on that activity lately?

I am one of those diehard's and yes, this kid is an animal. If he had played somewhere like Florida or USC he would have been a low rd. 1 pick. The gamecocks dont get much coverage or respect so allot of people dont know about him, but trust me he will make a very big splash this season.

qft

I thought he was spectacular for four years in the SEC, and now I can't wait to see him on the field for the Panthers....The guy simply makes things happen when he gets a whiff of the pigskin.:cool:

You're right. It makes me wonder if Thomas Davis sees a bit of his former rookie self in Norwood. I distinctly remember a quote from TD after he was drafted, that his goal on defense was "to get to the ball with bad intentions."

I loved this attitude about Davis, and he's had to adjust from Safety, to hybrid "Vick chaser", to solid LB, and he has matured into a great pro. I hope Norwood follows this same path.

I am one of those diehard's and yes, this kid is an animal. If he had played somewhere like Florida or USC he would have been a low rd. 1 pick. The gamecocks dont get much coverage or respect so allot of people dont know about him, but trust me he will make a very big splash this season.

Good to know. Glad we usually pay attention to any college players unlike some NFL teams. It's important to look at any players from all kind of college, big or small, as long they have the right good players that fit our needs.

Thinking that Norwood got drafted lower because he played at USC is just delusional. Especially if you think it's the SCOUTS who follow that line of thought.

Media, fans, and maybe owners think that way, but scouts? I'm not believing that.

I'm sure in every profession there are the usual connections. But 1st round talent doesn't fall to the 4th unless there are serious problems off the field and Norwood doesn't have those.

Norwood was my favorite pick of this draft. The guy just stood out above everybody else on the field whenever I saw USC play. Granted, I didn't watch them every week like USC fans did, but I saw enough to convince me that Norwood was a player.

I hope the Panthers make more use of Norwood (6-0 7/8, 245, 4.71-40, 1.58-10) than they have out of Hilee Taylor (6-3, 244, now 250, 4.64-40).

Norwood is also a lot like a rookie player Meeks coached with the Colts in 2008, Marcus Howard (6-1, 237, 4.45-40), who played DE at Georgia. The Colts drafted Howard in the 5th round (at #161), played him mostly at DE in 08, and in 9 games he had 9 tackles with 1.5 sacks. He was cut in 2009, and had no stats. Howard is now with the Titans, as a DE (still at 237 pounds) and probably won't survive their final cut.

If the Panthers plan on making Norwood an important part of their defense, then they will probably need a player with the same skill set to back him up. This might help Taylor's chances of making the final roster, as the 10 D-Lineman/5th DE/7th LB, but for now he's on the bubble.

I hope the Panthers make more use of Norwood (6-0 7/8, 245, 4.71-40, 1.58-10) than they have out of Hilee Taylor (6-3, 244, now 250, 4.64-40).

Norwood is also a lot like a rookie player Meeks coached with the Colts in 2008, Marcus Howard (6-1, 237, 4.45-40), who played DE at Georgia. The Colts drafted Howard in the 5th round (at #161), played him mostly at DE in 08, and in 9 games he had 9 tackles with 1.5 sacks. He was cut in 2009, and had no stats. Howard is now with the Titans, as a DE (still at 237 pounds) and probably won't survive their final cut.

If the Panthers plan on making Norwood an important part of their defense, then they will probably need a player with the same skill set to back him up. This might help Taylor's chances of making the final roster, as the 10 D-Lineman/5th DE/7th LB, but for now he's on the bubble.

I dont see how Taylor makes the roster this year.

Archived