• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Fox got fired where would he go?

CanadianCat

For those who say he'll be a coordinator, I'm curious. Not to be contentious, but how many other HCs have left their teams after nine years of being a head coach, and with a +.500 record, only to return to being coordinators?

I'm sure there are some, but not many. And I'm really just interested in who they are.

For those who say he'll be a coordinator, I'm curious. Not to be contentious, but how many other HCs have left their teams after nine years of being a head coach, and with a +.500 record, only to return to being coordinators?

I'm sure there are some, but not many. And I'm really just interested in who they are.

i'm more thinking that if he wants a job at all after this (at least for a while) its most likely going to be as a DC somewhere. i can't see him in media (except on maybe kirwin's radio show). coaching is his only outlet.

the reasoning for him not getting a HC job has more to do with the HC market that has been going on for the past few years. there have been lots of HC changes made and the vast majority of them have been to rookie coaches rather than retreads.

i made a couple posts about this last year. here's one that gives a bit of facts to back up what i'm saying.

fox's competition for the 5 or 6 HC jobs that might open up will be holmgren, cowher, shannahan, schotty, billick, gruden (not buying that he is done and wouldn't find someway out of his contract).

also he'd be competing with the other fired coaches...possibly turner, fisher, phillips, lovie smith, zorn, cable, haley, kubiak, mangini....there are more than a couple "good" coaches in that group (and some real stinkers). still, a lot of solid competition.

he'll also be battling against the desire of the vast majority of teams to hire rookie coaches.

2009: 12 coaching changes, 10 went to rookies

2008: 7 coaching changes, all went to rookies

2007: 8 coaching changes, 6 went to rookies

point is...fox has a very slim chance of getting hired as an HC after leaving here. i don't care how good anyone thinks fox is, out of 27 HC changes in the past 3 years and only 4 going to retreads....he's looking at a very small group of teams that will hire a retread at all. then consider who his competition is among the retreads and potentially available retreads...honestly, he doesn't really stand out.

now i could see him moving to the UFL for a couple years. NFL...not unless it was a very desperate and not terribly smart team such as the browns or the bills.

Fox will be a HC again right away when he isn't here anymore. Look at Eric Mangini. This guy became a HC right away after the Jets got rid of him. Same for Dungy too. As soon Fox is free, someone will pick him up asap.
you aren't paying attention to the hiring tendencies of most teams looking for new coaches.

it doesn't matter how good you or anyone really thinks fox is, most teams are looking for new blood. only the browns or the bills would hire fox.

Archived