• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Coordinators

The Saltman

Vikings are set to cut loose Darrell Bevell.

He's been the Vikes OC since 2006. Prior to that he was Favre's QB coach in Green Bay for three years and an offensive assistant with the Pack for two years prior (all under Mike Sherman; went to Minnesota the year McCarthy took over).

He's had some positive press in Minnesota, though you'd have to grant they had some fairly decent personnel to work with. Frazier seems to want McDaniels as his OC.

Not sure how I feel about this one, but it's an available name (soon to be, anyway). I could probably get behind it. I've read good things, but as with any coach, how much is him and how much is the personnel? If not for OC, he could be an option for QB coach.

Rivera might have some familiarity with him from an "opposing coach" standpoint. Rivera was Bears DC from 2004 to 2006, so would have coached against him two years in Green Bay and one in Minnesota.

Side Note: Bevell followed (briefly) in the footsteps of a former Panthers QB at the college level.

If I told you which one, you might lose interest :lol:

During that year of college, he was coached by Brad Childress. That connection helped him land the Vikes OC spot when Childress got the lead job there.

Another option for OC, or for WR coach, hitting the job market now is Ray Sherman.

Sherman was the (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) Rooney Rule interview for Jerry Jones, except he came out and publicly said that he hadn't been interviewed. In response, Jones interviewed him, and now is letting him go.

(I'm sure his denying Jones had "talked to him" had nothing to do with that) :sosp:

He'd be an option at either spot, but has more experience (and success) as a receiver coach.

According to Wikipedia, Ron Turner is a fan of the Air Coryell system.

Air Coryell: Middle to deep passing with a power running game. Teams running this scheme have a tendency to strike deep without warning. Typically, tall receivers are a feature of this system. Critics of this system say it's impossible to come from behind with this scheme because defenses are already expecting deep passes.

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Coryell

Another option for OC, or for WR coach, hitting the job market now is Ray Sherman.

Sherman was the (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) Rooney Rule interview for Jerry Jones, except he came out and publicly said that he hadn't been interviewed. In response, Jones interviewed him, and now is letting him go.

(I'm sure his denying Jones had "talked to him" had nothing to do with that) :sosp:

He'd be an option at either spot, but has more experience (and success) as a receiver coach.

Yea that's funny but I really like Sherman been trained under Garrett supposedly a Offensive whiz, also helped develop a couple of very very good wr's in the last few years.

No zorn please omg!

I'm cosigning that NO let's look for someone coming off of some kind of recent success please.

Chargers QB/Receivers Coach would be a good start. Helps Ron maintain some sort of familiarity all the while getting a great coach in return.

And no thanks to the Bears guy as an OC, The Panthers need a drastic step upwards in their offensive scheme. Not stay complacent or minimally improve.

Archived