• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Position Free Agent Wishlist

Seamonk

What are all the players you deem that the panthers could reasonably go after that would fit the Panthers organization and be considered an upgrade? By Position Prioritize them 1-7. They do not necessarily have to be needs. No re-signs. Go in thinking that we won't address the position with the draft.

1. QB: Yeah.. this is obvious. I'm going with Volek. He's scheduled to be a free agent and he's going to want to be a starter before his career is over. He isn't a longterm solution.. Clausen will lead us back to Luck, but do we really want to tank another season for 1 player?

2. OG: Carl Nicks, Saints wouldn't have a serviceable run game without him, they'll have to make some tough o-line choices this year on who to keep. Nicks might be too expensive if it means losing 2 other starters in the process

3. TE: Zach Miller, with what Rivera has said about having a do-everything TE, Zach Miller is a really good playmaking option

4. CB, the obvious choice would be for Asomugha, but I say no. I'm going with Antonio Cromartie. Asomugha is a shutdown corner. He locks his side of the field. But it sucks when we want turnovers. Cromartie gives us someone that teams can think they can Pick on. Somewhat like Richard Marshall except more athletic. Can't get Turnovers if people don't throw your way.

5. LB: Ben Leber. We don't know if Thomas Davis will be back. Leber is an instinctual football player that can play multiple positions.

6. WR: James Jones. Dude will want to get paid, he's young enough that he can compete, athletic enough to earn it, and has been a part of Green Bay's impossible to defend passing attack. With Steve Smith being questionable at this point in his career and a promised aggressive passing attack, we'll be needing those extra WRs now.. (suck it Fox and Davidson)

7. RB: Leon Washington. Would be nice to have some legit returnman options instead of the no-names we usually go with.

If James Jones becomes a FA we need to sign him. He's a stud in the making.

Zach Miller is a no-brainer. We WILL make a hard run at him if he hits free agency. Rivera coached against him for 3 years in SD and knows how good he is. My only question is if Oakland re-signs or franchises him.

Your post was going good and I was enjoying it until I got to the part were you said that we shouldn't go after Aso. While I agree that we shouldn't go after Aso it is for a much more logical reason. Not going after a DB because he is so good he shuts down half of the field is insane. Especially if you are promoting going after an over-rated player in hopes that we could score some INTs.

Aso is going to want a contract that is going to make him the highest paid DB in football. A DB of his caliber on the FA market is almost as rare as a top talent QB make it to FA. Personally I just don't think sinking that much of a % of your cap into one player is worth it. Someone is going to offer him something stupid and to match or beat it would be idiotic.

1) QB vet. Volek

2) I think Kalil walks so i see the Panthers signing two offensive linemen. Since i have Carolina drafting a center with the 3rd pick, i like Jonathan Goodwin as a vet leader/mentor. Also like Chris Chester from the Ravens. He can play guard and center, that's two good inexpensive players.

3) Need a tight end and i'm down with Kevin Boss of the New York Giants. 6-6 260.

4) I really like Johnathan Joseph @ cornerback. Played at South Carolina and is from Rock Hill.

5) Linebacker? I don't know if Davis or Anderson will be back. If not, i like Thomas Howard of the Raiders. Big guy with speed.

6) I really don't think the Panthers will go out and sign a star wideout. Someone like Jacoby Jones is more like it. Can return kicks.

7) Would love to grab Snelling or Kuhn. Both can be a real weapon at FB or RB.

8) The last guy on my list is DT Barry Coefield of the Giants. Him and Fairley would be a dam good combo.

Archived