• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cut Hackett

SKULL

Hackett is a good receiver, when healthy. I know after last year we might not want to take that chance again, but the team is so stacked at the receiver position that I think we can afford to take that gamble again.

Smith, Moose, Jarrett, Hackett, Robinson, Jones and maybe Carter. We don't need any help at receiver. Not just yet.

How do you know that? Has he ever been healthy?

The Panthers will not cut Hackett. The reasons are obvious. First, he's cheap. Zero reason to cut him, specially considering he is a good receiver.

Not saying the Panthers won't bring in more competition, but they won't cut Hackett just to bring in someone else.

I could see them promoting Jarrett and cutting Hackett though. If nothing else to free up a roster spot.

I hear what some of you are saying, but there is a belief among some that the receivers that we brought in to take the pressure away from Smitty have not worked out(no disrespect to Moose).

Personally, I don't know whether to blame it on the receivers, respect for their actual and/or perceived skills by the opposition, Jake's seeming reluctance to throw to anybody but Smitty and Moose, or uninspired and ineefective playcalling. Could be all of the above. Anyway, Hackett is a good receiver at times, but his production is inconsistent for whatever reasons (including injury).

Washington's stats are more consistent, and he appears to be more of threat to take it to the house.

The issue of consistency, alone, may warrant the we give him more than just a casual look. Moreover, he may just be a more legitimate threat in reality and in the eyes of the opposition, than Hackett will ever be. Notwithstanding needs on the defense, we could probably fit Washington in the budget if we get a real opportunity to sign him. An upgrade at WR that does not cost much, and that could yield marked improvements, is never a bad thing. Hackett would just have to go.

How do you know that? Has he ever been healthy?

He’s been healthy in the six games he’s played for Carolina. In those six games, he caught just about everything thrown his way. The same is true of Jarrett.

Their unsubstantial numbers last season are a result of how they are used in the offense, not their inability to catch the ball. How many times can you recall Colbert or Carter dropping a well thrown ball? It happened all the time.

Jarrett and Hackett are both better receivers than the two C’s. They just figured less prominently in our offense last year because we had one of the league’s best running games.

I understand why you would be leery to keep Hackett on given his past injuries with the Seahawks and with us. But ask yourself how often we really targeted or went to our third receiver—whether it be Jarrett or Hackett—and then ask yourself if we failed to use our third receiver based on talent.

We have talented wide receivers. As I said, both Jarrett and Hackett caught almost everything thrown their way this year. There is no need to bring in any receiver, whether it be through the draft or free agency.

I echo the other posters when I say that we need to spend on defense, and for the most part defense alone.

I hear what some of you are saying, but there is a belief among some that the receivers that we brought in to take the pressure away from Smitty have not worked out(no disrespect to Moose).

I don’t see how you could think that, seeing as how Moose had almost a 1,000-yard season. While it’s true that no other than Smith and Muhammad put up substantial numbers, that is because we did not target the other receivers. It’s important to spread the ball around and I hope we can improve on that as well, but you don’t need to as much with the running game we have.

Do me a favor. Before anyone says things like cut Hackett and get such and such, do your homework. Put down some numbers to show how much we would save in salary or lose in dead cap space if we cut Hackett for example. And if we sign such and such, what are they currently making or what would it cost for them if we picked them up in free agency.

Otherwise it is like Madden. Unrealistic suggestions without consideration of the facts, cap, salary requirements, etc. In other words, a waste of space.

For example he was signed for 3.5 million for 2 years. I couldn't find terms so I am going off what I rememebr which could be wrong. But if his signing bonus was 1.5 and his salary was 1 million each year, if we cut him now we would save the 1 million dollar salary and be on the hook for half the 1.5 bonuis or 750,000 so our net savings would be 250,000. If his bonus was 1 million though and his salary was 500,000 in 2008 and 2 million in 2009, then if we cut him we might only be on the hook for 500,000 and would save 2 million by cutting him netting a savings of 1.5 million. In either case the savings won't be that drastic but might be necessary.

Archived