• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beasons tweet about the CBA

Snake

I agree with you that it is about the money, for both the players and owners. But the player do have a point about injury concerns. To assume that 2 pre-season games = 2 regular season games, as far as player safety is concerned, is a little absurd. Which is why when the players do eventually cave, on the issue of the 18 games schedule, it will come with concessions by the owners. Most likely in the form of more roster/PS spots and a reworking of current injury settlements.

If the players were half as concerned for one another's safety as they're making out to be then explain the backlash Cutler received from players during the NFC Championship.

"We dont want to make 2 games we already play meaningful because we might get hurt!"

"Cutler was hurt and didn't play! No heart!"

Oh compromise. Politicians murdered you and now football players + owners are violently sodomozing your corpse :(

Thigh pads? That's your argument?

I'm opposed to 18 games as a safety issue. How are you going voice such concern about concussions and then add two meaningful games?

I can't stand Smith, but I'm with the players 100% on this.

My point is that it's silly for players to complain about safety when they won't even wear all the available protective equipment.

Speaking of concerns about concussions... the NFL also recommended all players wear the kind of helmet Aaron Rodgers was wearing when he took the hit from Peppers this past weekend (which he credits with sparing him from a concussion) because studies have shown it's the safest helmet available, yet most players continue to wear other types of helmets presumably because they "look cooler" or are more comfortable.

I'm not 100% behind the owners or players, both have valid arguments, but this whole "safety" thing is silly when players won't even wear all of the protective equipment that's available to them.

I have a CBA question and don't want to start another thread..

Is there a date where there will be no turning back and a lockout for 2011 is eminent; where even if both sides were to agree eventually, it wouldn't be put into place until the 2012 season? I want a sort of countdown until a 2011 season will be lost completely so I know when to really pay attention to details.

I'm opposed to 18 games as a safety issue. How are you going voice such concern about concussions and then add two meaningful games?

I see your point... On the other hand though, how can the players complain that they are not allowed to play the game the way they used in regard to hitting etc and then talk about safety?

Everything about this is about the money. The victims are the ones having the fewest... THE FANS

I agree with you that it is about the money, for both the players and owners. But the player do have a point about injury concerns. To assume that 2 pre-season games = 2 regular season games, as far as player safety is concerned, is a little absurd. Which is why when the players do eventually cave, on the issue of the 18 games schedule, it will come with concessions by the owners. Most likely in the form of more roster/PS spots and a reworking of current injury settlements.

Agree that concessions will need to be made. I also agree that they need to expand the roster and the PS.

This will get done....and it will include an 18 game schedule.

I hate the owners for this as well. 16 game season works well for all fans. Woul I rather have 2 more reg season games and 2 less pre-season....yes, but only because I pay full price for my season tickets for all of them.

Do I care enough to possibly lose football....Hell NO.

The bottom line is that Mawae and the rest of the players union are trying to say that 18 games is too much of a health risk and they can't take that risk unless the owners pony up for lifetime healthcare benefits. To Mr. Mawae I say...There are people in this country that make 1/50th of what an NFL player makes that don't get lifetime healthcare. Why should you get it? If he tells me that it is because of injury risk then my response is: Isn't that why you get paid 2+ million dollars per year? I mean at what point is the money you make SOLELY based on the talent you possess and not at all based on the risk you take in your profession?

You know what the most dangerous job in the country is? Highway construction workers that get paid 10-15 bucks an hour. You think those guys get lifetime healthcare?

yes, they are playing under the same 20 games format.. but this argument fully ignores what is happening when you take away 2 preseason games and add 2 regular season games..

for the owners, it's about money. the players are going to have to give in, due to money.. but it's also about player safety..

the Packers for instance (yes, they overcame, but most teams don't, and many teams are plagued with injuries every year as they have been) you are taking 16 regular season games and 15 starters on IR this year.. and adding 2 more FULL QTR games is not about safety?

The Panthers in 2004 had 17 starters injured that year... and us Panther fans are blinded by Goodell's 20 game format propaganda?

it's not about the 20 game format.. we have 4 vanilla games where some starters don't even play, and when they do they play 7 QTRs of vanilla football...

and instead, offering up 3 QTRs of vanilla football + 8 QTRs of high impact football... 11 QTRs, if you really want to compare a preseason game to a regular season game... (which isn't comparable at all)

I get the other side of the argument, "this is going to happen regardless" or "it's only 2 more games", but those 2 arguments fully ignore the massive amounts of injuries that occur in a 16 regular season game period..

I understand your point about the differences in pre-season vs regular season games. And, I do agree that it does provide more risk of injury.

But, these are the same players that are bitching and moaning because Goddell is trying to eliminate some of the violence in the game.

If everything they do is about safety, why don't they accept the rule changes as good for "their safety"?

This is about money on both sides, plain and simple. For them to try and spin it another way just comes across as ridiculous.

They should not be provided health care after they leave the league. Regular workers don't get healthcare paid for after they leave their jobs. They know the physical requirements of the job long before they enter the league. That is a price they pay to make millions.

the other thing about 18 games is that, say the colts, steelers or pats all dominate their division and win 12 out of their first 14 games. they would be 12-2 with 4 games left to play instead of 2.

I remember last season, goodell was bitching about coaches resting their starters for the last couple games of the season, but they could, for all realistic purposes, clinch their division with 4 games left to play. that would be 2 extra games of scrubs playing added on to the end of your schedule.

For those of you who don't want 18 games, which I believe is the majority of fans and players, your best bet at keeping the 16 game schedule is to go through the lockout. (Whether it be up until august, or through the whole football season) The owners will not budge from their position this year, and because they will still get payed, there is no reason to do so. If there is a deal before March 4th, it will be because the players gave in to the owners' demand.

I don't want an 18 game season, and that is well worth fighting for and sacrificing a year of football.

You know what the most dangerous job in the country is? Highway construction workers that get paid 10-15 bucks an hour. You think those guys get lifetime healthcare?

Actually highway construction is incredibly safe.

the most dangerous job is hyberbaric welding and they make more than an average annual nfl salary lol

Actually highway construction is incredibly safe.

the most dangerous job is hyberbaric welding and they make more than an average annual nfl salary lol

Why does it not surprise me that you knew that?

You are truly a vestibule of obscure information....very impressive.:cornut:

Archived