• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Five reasons we don't take Green #1

unicar15

1. Julio Jones

2. Jonathan Baldwin

3. Titus Young

4. Torrey Smith

5. Leonard Hankerson

You could make an argument for the first four to be 1st round draft picks. IDT they all WILL go in the 1st round because teams are going to draft somewhat based on need. So you could be looking at guys like Young, Smith, and Hankerson falling to the late 2nd round or possibly to our 1st pick in the third round. So in short, trade the 1st pick (ideally) or draft a position other than WR because this is a relatively deep draft at that position if its a position we want to address. Personally, with us taking 3 WRs in last year's draft and two of them showing a lot of promise I don't see us taking a WR before the 4th or 5th round this year. I think we go with what we have and we try to beef up TE as a receiving option.

I like Green, but I don't know that we need yet another young receiver. Pretty young at that spot already.

I'll grant that no one we have now is as dominant as he might be if he lives up to potential. Still, I have a feeling our top pick will be used elsewhere.

I'm not sure why I keep reading threads about drafting WRs when the Panthers drafted 3 last year. For as bad as the QB situation is, drafting 6 won't help the passing game.

The Panthers have one of the best WRs in the game and can't find a way to get him the ball, what makes anyone think adding another is going to make a difference? If the team feels like they need another WR they'll take one late.

I'm not sure why I keep reading threads about drafting WRs when the Panthers drafted 3 last year. For as bad as the QB situation is, drafting 6 won't help the passing game.

The Panthers have one of the best WRs in the game and can't find a way to get him the ball, what makes anyone think adding another is going to make a difference? If the team feels like they need another WR they'll take one late.

Agreed. If we can find a TE who is as important to our offense as Gates is to San Diego (which Chud should be able to do), then the need for another receiver is solved but not by a WR. I would like us to take a proven vet TE in free agency and develop the guys we have. No doubt Green has great potential and may end up being the best guy in the draft, but he isn't at a great position of need. Frankly BPA is fine as long as you are solid at most positions. Unfortunately, we have some gaping holes at several positions. WR is very deep this year so as you say, we can find a stud down the road. I just don't think it is high on the Panther's list as some other positions this year.

That in no way is a negative to Green at all. Green is the right guy but not at the right time.

6. Michael Floyd decides to stay in school another year.

Sure do wish a CBA is done where a player could be offered up to move into the later 1st to grab a stud WR and allow us that top pick to go defensive. Otherwise, we'll be figuring out how to get (possibly) Luck and Floyd in the first round next year.

... draft a position other than WR because this is a relatively deep draft at that position if its a position we want to address.

I am going to have to disagree and point out that AJ Green and Julio Jones are the only top tier WR's. I think that their is a much larger gap in parity with the WR's than there is with the DT's or QB's.

I do agree we should try to trade pick (if possible, but highly unlikely)

I am 99% sure we are taking a QB with our first pick.

I haven't posted anything about it, but at this point, it wouldn't suprise me. 99% might be a little agressive on the confidence scale, but 8 out of the last 10 #1 picks have been QB's and with it being our biggest need (according to Hurney), why not try to address it.

Archived