• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In This Thread I Talk Rationally About Drafting A QB #1 Overall.

SmootsDaddy89

SD, I agree with you 100%

Ever since Luck went back to school I've been against drafting a QB. But we have to be real and honest with ourselves. We need a top notch QB.

There are two QB's who have a high risk factor, but also a very high ceiling and the tools needed to get it done in the NFL. It will take time to develop but Cam and Blaine could be those guys.

You never hit a home run if you never swing! And we need to swing for a damn good QB.

Yes yes, next year has a better class, but I also believe there will still be a lot of needs for QB's next year and I don't see us being in a position to draft one, leaving us with no future at QB for 2 years in a row (Unless you believe Jimmy can be a top NFL QB).

So fug it, If one of two of them have a great showing between now and the draft.... Pick them.

Listen up the OP is on to something. Also knowing a little bit about how these guys draft don't be surprised if we draft a QB and it is Cam Newton and not Yo Gabba Gabba. This team has a history of drafting production over projection and has had some success with that method. Three of our better draft picks in recent years were guys we drafted higher than they were projected because they were productive college players and they turned out to be very productive in the pros as well (D-Will, J-Stew, and Thomas Davis)

and for those who think it is asinine check out what one NFL scout said to Ross Tucker a contributor to ESPN:

NFL scout to me: " If VY went #3 & The Golden Calf of Bristol 1st Rd, wouldn't surprise me at all if Cam Newton went #1. His upside is limitless."

and for those who think it is asinine check out what one NFL scout said to Ross Tucker a contributor to ESPN:

NFL scout to me: " If VY went #3 & The Golden Calf of Bristol 1st Rd, wouldn't surprise me at all if Cam Newton went #1. His upside is limitless."

I will say Cam is bigger, faster, and has a much better throwing motion/is a more efficient passer than VY so maybe the scout's got a point.

I suspect these same guys were high on Alex Smith and Jamarcus Russell....I couldn't care less what some random unnamed scout says, considering I know a couple of scouts myself. Smart teams want no part of him as a first round QB, but also know he has no interest in moving to a position where he would actually be good.

So he's a better prospect than one horrid QB, and one major project at QB who is a career overachiever.

That's like saying "here, drink this anti-freeze....its better than hydrochloric acid."

We have our needs and wants confused. We desperately need a QB who can start in 2011. Any veteran who can be a competent starter will do. We are also on the lookout for a franchise quarterback, but that is a luxury that the majority of the NFL does not have with good reason - they are hard to find.

I'm going to posit that none of the QB prospects in the draft can be relied on to come and start this year. If you cannot see this, there is no point in reading on.

So we need to sign a FA veteran who can be a reliable starter whoever that is. This satisfies the primary need - a QB who can start in the short term. Assume that the Panthers like one of the QB prospects as a potential franchise guy and draft him. That leaves us with

New FA QB

Rookie QB

Jimmy Clausen

Tony Pike

Matt Moore

Now we have 3 guys who are need a lot of development alongside Matt Moore and the new FA QB who will need to adapt to the new offensive scheme. You would have to resign Moore because there is not much experience behind the new FA guy. Inevitably we would have to cut Clausen or possibly Pike before the mini-camp/OTA because you can't have 5 people sharing snaps. Competition is all well and good but with OTAs/preseason likely to be shortened we cannot afford to have 5 QBs splitting snaps and end up under-prepared going into the season.

To suffice - I'm all for the Panthers drafting another QB if they feel he is legit but only if they devote enough time and resources to the guy. What would piss me off is we held on to Clausen/Pike and hinder the progress of the new guys.

The thing you have to ask yourself is, "If I would take a QB at #5 or #10 then what is stopping me from taking him #1?" IMO because of the importance of the QB, he doesn't have to be the best player in order to be the top pick. If he has the tools to be a franchise player for the team drafting 10th then he has the tools to be a franchise player for the team drafting 1st. Its not like a team is going to just take a flyer on a QB at the #10 spot anymore than a team would do that at the #1 spot. So, because of the importance of that position....it doesn't matter if he is the best player. All you have to ask yourself is "can he be the future for us?" If the answer is yes then IDC if he's ranked 1st or 30th...you take him.

Allow me to summarize: There are no QB's worth the 1st pick.

I am afraid this is true. I am hoping, however, that some player emerges and a team falls in love with him.

Here is the deal--we don't want to drop too far, and all the teams in the early part of the draft are not giving up a second rounder for a player who is likely to fall to them.

Likely trading partners and reasons:

#4 Bengals: They have 2 glaring needs, IMO. DE and WR. Unless they fall in love with Bowers, they would settle for Quinn. If we don't draft Green they know he would fall. Not too much incentive to drop, unless they see Peppers II in him and like that idea.

#8 Titans: If they decide not to go QB and address DE needs, they could easily see Bowers' stock rise enough to jump to #1 to get him--ACC DEs have been great picks over the past decade.

#9 Cowboys: Simply because they have limited needs and I see Jones wanting to move into the top 5. I think he would love Green, Peterson, or Bowers, which suggests that he is more likely to deal with Buffalo or Denver. However, Jones might go all out and deal with us.

#10 Washington: Burned by Free Agents, maybe Snyder falls in love with Bowers.

P. Peterson please.

PP Told scouts at SR bowl he would run a sub 4.3 40. Given his shut down abilties and the special teams factor, maybe so. My only concerns:

A defensive back has not been #1 overall in 55 years.

The CBs in the Jim Johnson D are not usually overwhelmingly studly athletes. Do we need a Ferrari when a Kia will do the job as well?

Jordan Pugh showed skills this year. In the new D, does he go to CB?

If Peterson is the frst overall pick, do we risk our investment by having him return punts? If not, his value is decreased.

I am not a Fairley fan because he scares me and DT is deep in this draft. Green would be nice, but not a tremendous need.

Archived