• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera: No promises for Jimmy Clausen

teeray

a few of the anti-winning/anti-Cam people are gonna be crushed ny this news. To them Clausen is "entitled" to be our qb til we can beg Luck again next offseason. :rolleyes: Rivera continues to impress me so far. Its a wise decision not to make promises to a.franchise killer like Clausen.

I wouldn't call it "wise". That's a standard answer most coaches give out especially with no definite starter in order.

there have.been numerous posts on this board suggesting Clausen didnt get a fair shake and is entitled to another year "to see him with a different staff". More times than not, those folks want qb adressed next season. Meanwhile us paying fans and psl holders foot the bill of another losing year just so those fans can get their dream qb who may or may not come out. worst business plan ever. so its not shocking the Panthers are looking to do the opposite. The days of "entitled" lackluster qbing in Carolina are over.

I would only say he is entitled to compete for the job, which is different than saying he is entitled to start another year.

He threw over 77% of his passes no farther than 10 yards. It doesn't really open the offense when you limit your scope of throws that much, unless this is a west coast offense and it isn't. CBs are going to understand subconciously that about 3 of every 4 throws he makes are going to be within that range. Then again, he had a horrible unimaginative coordinator, and a bad QB coach. His receivers weren't very good and didn't have a refined game, Smith looked like he didn't give a poo about JC's struggles because his last name doesn't start with a D and end with elhomme.

Any young top competition we can bring in I'm for. If we get Carson Palmer we're not going to get 2005-2007 Palmer like everybody thinks but not like they can tell the difference between the velocity and accuracy of his throws then and how it has deteriorated by now because panther fans in general really don't know poo about great QBing since we've never personally had one. Also the notion that people are leaning heavily on that veteran QBs make rebuilding teams succeed faster than rookie QBs is really really overstated.

Matt Moore, lol lol, a guy who throws more than half his passes to the right third of the field. A guy with poor decision making and no pocket presence. He had his shot last year and he blew it miserably and then for the coup de grâce he breaks his leg in practice. His success was flash in the pan and because we were rushing for like 200 yards a game late in 2009 and the Vikings fell for that bootleg throw to smith play like 30 times in december. He is also known that year for throwing 3 touchdowns against that vaunted Bill Sheridan defense

The only real shot we have of starting to fix the QB situation now is with Blaine Gabbert or Cam Newton. Other than that your best option is stacking the passing game by drafting AJ Green and surround Clausen with more weapons and make 2011 his trial season. If he fails it doesn't matter if you have a veteran QB any more than where you draft in the top 12 in 2012. None of those three sound comfortable to most people, but the best solution often isn't the one that sounds most assuring, especially in this league.

Hidden

If Moore chooses to sign his tender or the Panthers match his offer, he will be the starter, if not, we will be drafting in the top 10 next year.

I'd like Matty Moore to be our veteran and I'd like to get our potential

#1 guy to play behind him from the draft. Moore has the downfield passing skills they need in Chuds new offense.

If Moore chooses to sign his tender or the Panthers match his offer, he will be the starter, if not, we will be drafting in the top 10 next year.

I'd like Matty Moore to be our veteran and I'd like to get our potential

#1 guy to play behind him from the draft, I don't believe in JC. Moore has the downfield passing skills they need in Chuds new offense.

When they ask JC if he's the quarterback of our future and he says "I don't know", coming from a QB that is a troublesome statement, you either think you are or know you are. If you don't believe in yourself how can anyone believe in you?

I think if they draft a QB early and keep Pike then Clausen starts again. All of the decent prospects this year are spread QBs, and will need time.

If Pike and Clausen are on the roster, then the only way I don't see Clausen starting is if they get a veteran QB like Palmer, or maybe Smith--someone with solid starting experience. OR if they manage to land a talented backup like Kolb who's ready to compete for a starting position. I just don't see them keeping four QBs, and in a group with a journeyman backup or rookie plus Pickles and Pike, Clausen is likely to be the starter.

Just my opinion, that's all.

Clausen, Pike, 1st round draft pick or Clausen, Pike, late round draft pick....either way I think there is about a 1% chance of the roster looking like that.

Clausen will stay but it is almost a sure thing that Rivera brings in a vet and a body in the draft. If he doesn't draft someone then I see him bringing in a vet and a young QB to compete.

Regardless, it just isn't realistic to think Clausen is going to start....the Clausen/Pike/rookie depth chart ain't gonna happen. Not w/ Rivera.....not based of everything he has repeatedly said.

i dont see how we keep all 3 QBs from a 2-14 team.

I'll grant it sounds goofy, but evidence suggests we will.

We know Clausen won't be cut, and if they weren't interested in taking Moore to camp, all they had to do was not make an offer, but they did. Pike's probably the one with the most tenuous hold on a roster spot, but he is still on roster, and there's no indication he'll be cut (at least not right now).

I think when Rivera says he doesn't believe last year is a fair test, he means it.

The camp foursome that I've seen for quite some time has been Clausen, Pike, Moore and a veteran acquisition. best three go into the season.

That still hasn't changed.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Different coaches, different system, new veteran presence.

Realistically, how many teams change more than one quarterback from one year to the next?

Different coaches, different system, new veteran presence.

Realistically, how many teams change more than one quarterback from one year to the next?

All valid points, but most teams aren't 2 and 14, with some of the ugliest QB play in recent history.

This team needs big changes, with attitude being right up there with talent. The QB is the leader of the team, and has to have some fire and attitude. Pardon me, but Clausen, nor Moore, nor even Palmer can give us that.

Look at the demeanor on the field of Brady or Manning or Brees when things aren't going well. Can you see your group fire up a team like that?

The game requires talent on the field, but it requires emotion as well.

Archived