• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is PP7 worthe the number one pick???

teeray

I think if, they get the rookie wage scale in place, then he would be worth the number 1 pick. I would still rather take someone at a position of higher impact though. IMO, the problem, in the past, with taking a CB that high has been whether they are worth the money they would command as the number 1 pick.

Could he be a first pick to a team in good shape who needs a shutdown corner. Absolutely.

Should be our first pick-no way at all.

Why don't corners get picked number 1? Most teams with the worse record in the league that year have much bigger needs than a corner. Plus they aren't difference makers by themselves. On a good team with a good pass rush- absolutely they can be very important.

But if we take him this year without shoring up much bigger needs, it couldl be years before he makes that big of an impact outside of special teams. Why? It will take that long to fill in the other missing pieces until he can make that big of difference on this defense especially when we ignore our biggest need areas and go BPA which is what we would have to do to pick PP first.

I certainly think he is worth it, him or Marcell Dareus. I think there is a first time for everything so I could give a damn about the fact that a CB has YET to be taken #1 overall.

Dareus over Fairley if it comes to that selection though.

Could he be a first pick to a team in good shape who needs a shutdown corner. Absolutely.

Should be our first pick-no way at all.

Why don't corners get picked number 1? Most teams with the worse record in the league that year have much bigger needs than a corner. Plus they aren't difference makers by themselves. On a good team with a good pass rush- absolutely they can be very important.

But if we take him this year without shoring up much bigger needs, it couldl be years before he makes that big of an impact outside of special teams. Why? It will take that long to fill in the other missing pieces until he can make that big of difference on this defense especially when we ignore our biggest need areas and go BPA which is what we would have to do to pick PP first.

Well if a CBA doesn't get done and there is no FA period it certainly changes everything. If we had the opportunity to fill in a hole or two with some solid FA pickups it could easily reshape the draft.

If there is no FA period I must agree no way should we take a corner. But he is definitely worth it, the situation just may not call for it.

There are two arguments where I can see the logic but not to the point of eliminating PP for the #1 pick.

Saying that they can just throw away from him.

If NFL QB's and OC's are avoiding PP in his rookie season would that not be a smashing success?

With Brees, Freeman, and Ryan in the division panthers need a top flight QB

We need a QB period but he's not on the field at the same time Brees, Freeman, and Ryan are. Wouldn't building up the pass D be just as effective?

Even with a QB like Gradkowski the offense could play well enough to not handicap the defense.

I dont know if I would characterize I pass D as solid. Those numbers are heavily skewed because of our pathetic offense and run defense. You simply don't pass against the Panther's when you have the lead and want to kill the clock.

While they've been wrong plenty of times, PP is virtually a guaranteed success. At the very worst he might bust at CB and be moved to safety where he could do quite well. With the rookie cap it wouldn't handicap the team either.

With the QBs they are not really guaranteed. Guys like Newton are in a boom or bust category I'm not comfortable with.

So PP is guarranteed to be better than a 3rd round CB and will develop quickly to be better than most FAs. PP's ceiling is a probowler and his floor is Antrelle rolle.

Newton/Gabbert are not guarranteed to be any better than the next 5 or so QBs down the list. Their ceiling is unlikely probowler and their floor is David Carr-ish.

With a franchise QB you need to take a shot every once in a while. But I think going BPA is the most stable and best way to get back to the top.

Archived