• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton, Mallett, and Gabbert given form of our playbook

teeray

Is this more of a sign of where the panthers are "leaning"

They've said they feel the quarterback position is a big priority. With the lockout pausing free agency they almost have to draft one just in case. I doubt they wait late in the draft to pick one. I'm thinking Cam or Mallet

Bet Ryan Mallett ends up doing the best on this "test".

There is a good chance that Mallett does do well, but I would not be surprised if all three of them look good after this.

If Gabbert does poorly in this, he's done. Period. His strength is supposed to be in that aspect of the game according to his coaches and the hype machine. If it's not true, he's going to slip.

This is nice, but it's no surprise. This is a multi-million dollar decision, why wouldn't they do this? Even if they weren't THAT hyped over these QB's and had some other guys ranked over them, it would be in their best interest to leave no stone unturned.

I like this idea and it should show how well they could absorb the playbook. With a short season likely that will be very important. Like I have always said, I trust Hurney and his pick.

idk, I have my worries about Hurney picking quarterbacks. He is a good GM, but picking quarterbacks in the draft have been a major hurdle for him imo.

2001: Chris Weinke (former heisman)

2002: Randy Fasani (the 'future')

2005: Stefan LeFors

2010: Jimmy Clausen (golden arm) & Tony Pike (?)

and I can't remember what year, but they were undrafted: Hunter Cantwell (or to his friends, 'Cant Huntwell') and Matt Moore.

Granted, Jimmy and Tony have only one year in their belt, and Jimmy was the highest QB he ever drafted. But even with his red flags Hurney took him anyway.

Out of all of the, Matt was the closest and I think Fox keeping him out was his big hinderance, although he didn't take advantage of opportunities last year. I hope they give him another shot.

But in short, he's been really hit or miss with QB's and him pulling the trigger worries me.

Archived