• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Wright's scouting report on Cam Newton

Stumpy

The good...

Won the Heisman Trophy in 2010 --- Garnered 1st Team All-American honors in 2010 --- Named 1st Team All-SEC in 2010 --- The Walter Camp National Player of the Year in 2010 --- Won the Maxwell Award as the best football player in the United States in 2010 --- Won the Davey O'Brien and Manning Awards as the nation's top quarterback in 2010...

...Transferred to Blinn Junior College in Texas, where he led team to an 11-1 record and the NJCAA National Championship in 2009 --- Regarded as the #1 JUCO prospect in the country and eventually chose Auburn following a hotly contested recruiting battle...

...Led Auburn to the BCS National Championship in 2010 --- Broke the school single-season records for rushing touchdowns, passing touchdowns, touchdowns responsible for, total offense and rushing yards by a quarterback --- Became just the third player in NCAA FBS history to total 20 rushing and 20 passing touchdowns in a single season --- Dealt with a back ailment in 2010 as well as ankle and neck issues earlier in career --- Compiled a 25-1 record as a starting quarterback in 2009 and 2010

The bad...

Was just a one-year starter for the Tigers...

...Arrested on felony charges of burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice after allegedly stealing a laptop computer but matter was resolved upon completion of a pretrial diversion program --- Reportedly caught cheating three times (turning in papers he didn't write) at Florida and opted to leave school as he was facing expulsion from the University...

...uring recruitment representatives (including his father Cecil) allegedly held a bidding war for his services, which is a major violation of NCAA rules, but Cam denied any involvement or knowledge of those activities

Overall...

Has shown a consistent pattern of behavior that leads you to believe he doesn't think the rules apply to him --- Loves the spotlight and might be more concerned with being a star, or as he put it an "Icon", than putting in the time and work it takes to be a great quarterback --- A classic Boom or Bust prospect who could either develop into a transcendent playmaker or set a franchise back years and ultimately cost a lot of people their jobs --- A rare physical specimen and dynamic talent but may lack the intangibles needed to ever maximize immense potential.

LINK

Wright's one of the more successful "guys with a website" out there. He's gotten some attention.

I still put him in the "some guy with a website" category of draft analysts though.

You're so wise, great sage :cool:

Seriously though, this guy's been one of the most accurate draftniks in recent years. If we ranked draft guys into tiers, I would have

Tier 1: Mayock

Tier 2: Gosselin, Wright, Kirwan, maybe Charles Davis but only because he gets his stuff from Mayock

Tier 3: Kiper, McShay, everyone else.

That accuracy comes in mock drafts though, not draft profiles. This profile isn't really all that informative, it's pretty safe. For the average fan, it's an easy way for you to learn about your draft prospects, but it won't really have any great pieces of insight.

fwiw Scott Wright ranked Chris Weinke 30-something overall as a prospect in the entire 2001 draft

But.... but... but, he won the Heisman and the National Championship. He was going to revolutionize the game, everyone knows that old QBs are the future. (try and refute that :D)

You're so wise, great sage :cool:

Seriously though, this guy's been one of the most accurate draftniks in recent years. If we ranked draft guys into tiers, I would have

Tier 1: Mayock

Tier 2: Gosselin, Wright, Kirwan, maybe Charles Davis but only because he gets his stuff from Mayock

Tier 3: Kiper, McShay, everyone else.

That accuracy comes in mock drafts though, not draft profiles. This profile isn't really all that informative, it's pretty safe. For the average fan, it's an easy way for you to learn about your draft prospects, but it won't really have any great pieces of insight.

:lol:

Nothing against Wright. If I recall Gantt likes him pretty well. I just can't rank the "website" guys up there with the major media types.

(even though I'm not the world's biggest Todd McShay fan)

Maybe I'd take them more seriously if they weren't always using "founder and president of draftwhatever.com" when what they're really saying is "I started this website".

Archived