• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton....

SorthNarolina

• 8 months later...

I've been listening to a lot of stuff about Newton and Gabbert and here is my conclusion.

You take Gabbert #1 overall for a few reasons: (In no particular order)

1. Gabbert apparently blew coaches away with his knowledge of the game. His ability to diagram I heard was beyond what most QBs his age know and is on par with a pro QB. Scheming is a HUGE deal in the NFL and understanding it as a QB is half the battle. If he already has this down then IMO he is a lot farther along than anyone else. That reminds me of Ryan, Bradford, Manning, Rivers, and Roethlisberger coming out...They just get it.

2. The Wonderlic test isn't pointless. If it was then they would stop doing it. Gabbert scored a 42. Newton scored a 21. I'm not saying this separates a genius from a moron but it does give some indication of intelligence in comparison to other players.

3. 6'5'' 235. Not only does the guy apparently understand the stuff in the classroom, he has the frame to execute it on the field. I know everyone is talking about what a freak Newton is but I'll take Phillip Rivers or Matt Ryan over Mike Vick any day of the week and Vick is about as freakish as it comes.

4. It didn't take Gabbert 3 different schools to finally get his act together. Newton seems like a good guy and very enthusiastic about the game. But there is a big big difference between being enthusiastic about the game and being a great leader. I know I know I've heard all the stories about how he's the first one in and the last one to leave but IMO that should be a given with any QB. Hell thats probably a given with Jimmy Clausen and he blows.

I think Newton can be a good QB. I just don't think he will be better than Gabbert. I'm probably in the minority here but I would rather have Gabbert than Newton and I hope that Hurney, Rivera, and JR can see past the fact that Gabbert isn't a freak of nature QB and just draft the best football player.

We definitely need you in the war room on draft day.

Ok guys we get it, we all love Cam he is a great pick. Stop bringing up all these old ass threads.

I disagree, these should be brought up because...

A: some of the comments are hilarious.

B: its a good example of why people with "years of football knowledge" on boards/chat rooms are on boards/chat rooms & not in FOs.

C: if Cam had struggled or been shown to be a bust this year, a lot of the people who said we shouldn't pick him or decried the pick would be bringing them up too, & I would bet far more often.

Archived