• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney strongly suggested that Carolina will take a quarterback

teeray

He said it wasn't Jimmy's fault. That means that it was the WR's fault and we're taking AJ Green.

they said during 2009 it was not all Jake's fault in 2009......well, when you removed him from the lineup the problems magically went away.

Clausen was pathetic....a major reason for that was simply the fact Clausen was pathetic. Hurney knows that.

Who's to say that it wasn't all Hurney's choice to dictate exactly who's at the QB position. I mean "remember" we're hopefully moving away from "Fox Ball". I'd be inclined to believe a lot of the futility we saw at the QB position was more a product of the system Fox implored where a punt is ALWAYS seemingly a good play.

From what I've seen in recent drafts Hurney takes risks on players (Brown, Edwards, Hardy, etc) but going back I can't think of any QB's being selected who were ever really worth a damn aside from last season when we thought Clausen was supposed to be a "bargain" pick.

In the early interviews/PC's you here Rivera discuss the successful stature/proto-typical QB's as big, tall, strong armed. Clausen doesn't seem to fit his mold, and is not known for his deep accuracy and ability to push the ball downfield, which is something Chud has already expressed will be apart of our attack.

With that being said I think we are looking at Cam, he fits the vision (outside of the character concerns), has the arm, and has been commended on his vertical passes. He reminds me of a more athletic Donovan McNabb, remember Philly fans didn't want him and look where he took them. Can't wait to see what happens.

I was simply saying what was stated in the interview.

If this is the case, they believe Cam has the capability to learn 'football knowledge'. If that's the case he has the physical attributes to be an 'nc monsta' and make 'millions'. But seriously, I won't be mad since they have done their research.

We will soon find out...

I'm not going to get all excited until Roger Goodell says his name on Thursday night... Then I'll be able to get excited... until then i'm gonna sip on this beer and wait...and wait...and wait, and then We can all "huddle" around and finally agree that he IS/WAS our best pick all along...and if not, well... We're back at square one. And then we'll all pull for Clausen/Moore and hope that last year was just a coinky dink!

Transcript per the MP3 posted... some place.

DG: Breaking any news on this show?

MH: No. No news to break.

DG: Who's goign to be the first pick?

MH: We're working through it.

DG: Is there going to be any action for the first pick? Anticipating phone calls?

MH: I don't know. I've been asked that question a lot. History says no, but who knows.

DG: 7 times first pick has been traded... Tough situation, a lot of moving parts. If no trade... So many expecting QBs. I am noticing this organization used to believe that this organization thought you could get by at QB without picking him in the first round... Lot of talk about Cam Newton... What changed to make you think drafting QB at #1 was viable?

MH: When you bring in a new coach you evaluate QB. This is a QB league... Rules changes that benefit the offense... Advantages the passing game has these days because of the rule changes, this is a quarterback draft. The ones who have 'em are picking low, and the one who don't are picking high and it's that simple. Any time yo uare at #1, any time yo uare at the top 5, if you look at the statistics, most of the franchise quarterbacks are taken in the first round, usually high in the first round, so when you're this high you have to look at the quarterbacks... With that said, everyone goes back to Jimmy Clausen, this has nothing to do with Jimmy Clausen... Clausen is entering his second year and I think he was in a tough situation his first year... hard to evaluate individuals when things go so wrong... If you'd had a winning veteran maybe you dont' look at QB but maybe you do. It's the most impactful position in the game so you have to look at it.

DG:If you take a QB at #1 on Thursday what od you have to do to insulate that player from unrealistic expectations?

MH: Used to be a given that a rookie would sit the first year and play midway through the first year maybe but really sit and learn the first year and play and produce second year... Aaron Rodgers & Philip Rivers sat 2 years... Big Ben came in, won, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, quarterbacks in recent years that have come in and for good teams, have been put in a very good situation as far as players surrounding them and they have produced so now this is a what have you done for me lately world and it's human nature to want a player selected high to have a player come in and have an impact right away.

DG: Are those pieces in place?

MH: I don't know... We have to get to the point where we decide who we'll pick. Obviously you'll have a plan in place for whoever you pick, no matter who you pick. I wil lsay this, whenever I read that we don't have talent and need a lot of players and we need to trade back and gather picks because we need help at so many positions, I think we have some good players and have talent on offense and defense. Do we have needs? Of course we have needs, but I do think we have players and really for the most part young players that can really help surround whoever it is at the quarterback spot and help them grow and help them win.

DG: Was reading MMQB and he had a section where you have a ton of pressure and that Newton would keep you up at night. When's the last time you got 8 hours of sleep?

MH: I wish it was just this week... There is obviously... I don't phrase it as pressure, we have a job to win games, and it's a responsibility because it has so much of an effect on the people in the area you work and it can have such a positive effect you feel like there is a responsibility on your shoulders... Pressure? I don't know, everyone in the world has pressure. It is a very critical pick, obviously. We have done a lot of work on it for several months and we will continue to do so and Peter is right... I have a good feeling of what the ceiling overhead looks like but you keep working at it... Lot of good people who have done a lot of work.

DG: Talked about the process 5-7, Ron said 8-10, in the investigation, research, work, in the last month when you're meeting iwth guys doing interviews, have you crossed anyone off the 5-7 or 8-10 list based on what you've found out in the last month?

MH: No... I laugh at the 5-7 to 8-10 thing. Everyone always wants to put a number to things. In reality we look at every guy in every round and we have gone through the same process and again I've said you go through and ranking them in your head and get an idea of where they rank but you ahve to keep everybody alive and keep an open mind becuase you never know what's going to happen.

DG: I know you've got talent and I know you are sensitive about that but there are starting jobs available... are there picks in the 3rd round where you can find starters at DT, CB, RG?

MH: I'm not sensitive, I just disagree. Sure, we have needs, I think we can find fine players to help us right away. Look at Brandon Lafell, a good exmaple from last year. We got him in the middle of the third. I think we can get players like that. Then you factor in the development of the young players from the last 2 years and I think that we have needs but we will have a viable competition to fill those needs.

DG: Are you going to count AE as one of your draft picks this weekend?

MH: You can count him last year or this year but I am glad he is on our team, he is a very, very talented player and he's going to show people he can play at this level and help our football team.

DG: Getting away from the draft talk... How much was hiring Proehl was geared towards turning AE into a receiver?

MH: It was... (but) I have stayed in touch with Ricky and hiring Ricky had to do with Ricky Proehl and nobody else... IT was his passion for the game and his passion for playing it and for teaching it... When Ron came in, Ricky's name came up because of the knowledge and experience and he fit in perfectly to the staff.

DG: Thank you for joining us... Throw us a bone... Give us something...

MH: I wish there was something there, Darin.

DG: You know who you are taking.

MH: No, I've been in this industry long enough to know it's monday and a lot of things can change by Thursday.

DG: You're doing your best... Keep up the front, you've held onto it this long!

its Marty Hurney as Marty Hurney as been so far. Either you think he wants to draft a QB or you just think he's answering questions... =|

Marty Hurney one day: "We're fine with the receivers we have."

Marty Hurney the next: "We've signed Keyshawn Johnson."

Hurney's a master at wording things so that he doesn't actually commit himself to anything, thus giving himself the freedom to turn around and do what you think he said he wasn't going to do later on.

Hurney has believed in past that we can get by without franchise QB. What changed to get him to consider using first pick on QB. Then he responded with the quote teeray posted.

But was that Hurney...or Fox?

If this is the case, they believe Cam has the capability to learn 'football knowledge'.

Keep in mind that "quarterback" doesn't automatically equal "Newton".

It could, but he's not the only legitimate candidate at that position.

I guess Gantt told Winthrop to go to hell huh?

Winthrop doesn't employ him. The Rock Hill Herald does.

It's not his job to cover the Panthers anymore. That doesn't mean he can't give his opinion oa a radio program.

Archived