• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grade the Panthers draft

Car123

D.. Cam newton gets them at least that much , the rest of the picks there was someone better at each position when they picked and they completely ignored the tight end position , Virgil green was still available when they drafted failey mc fail sauce out of washington state

Overall Draft Grade - B

Drafted a potential future franchise QB in Newton, shored up the DT spot with two solid day 2 picks. Drafted for depth late in the draft and added a WR that's a playmaker in Pilares.

Starters this season - Both McClain and Fua will see plenty of playing time from the start in a rotation system at DT. Newton should also see some playing time this season as well.

Sleeper pick - Pilares from Hawaii, might beat out AE for the slot job this season.

Worst Pick - Zach Williams

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/the-nfl-draft/60579-2011-panthers-draft-recap-thread.html#post3099835

I give this draft a D+

Things I like:

We drafted two decent DTs to compete for the starting roles. They also might bring in a veteran in free agency.

Hurney didn't trade away any of next year's picks, so we have a pick in every round next year. (And I have a feeling we are going to need them) JR must have told Hurney not to touch those picks, probably because Hurney will be gone next year and there is no need to mess things up for the next guy.

Things I didn't like:

Drafting Cam Newton when we could have had a bonifide starter on the D-line or in the secondary. Most likely we will put him out there in week one, if we expect to win any games. (If Clausen is out there, we will lose. Matt Moore is likely to leave, but even if he comes back we will lose with him. Matt Moore's best days was with him throwing to Steve Smith, and Smitty is gone. All the good veteran QBs will likely go to other teams like the Cards and such)

All other draft picks, although Pilares could be a surprise. However with guys like Ricardo Lockette, Virgil Greene, Greg Romeus, Mark Herzlich, etc sitting there for the taking, we draft guys no one has ever heard of. We'll see how our draftees do.

Archived