• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

just how good is gamble? how much is he thrown at?

rayzor

pro football focus (best analysis around, imo) did some looking at who the best CBs are, mainly by looking at how many opportunities they had to be thrown at vs. how many times they actually were.

pretty interesting results... http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/20/cornerbacks-cover-snaps-count/

one thing to note is not only is the #1 guy a FA, so is the #13.

this was just based off last years stats i think. they certainly aren't career stats.

it appears as though we do have a stud CB.

I just looked at the percents. I guess it does seem that way then. Still I think Gamble would shine as part of a duo.

Meanwhile, those suffering the biggest drops include Richard Marshall who went from 53rd in targets per coverage snaps, to 78th in receptions allowed per snaps in coverage. Some of this is down to Marshall moving inside in nickel situations (a study we’ll be looking to do in the future), but it remains an alarming fall, and not in line with other starting cornerbacks who move into the slot in their team’s sub package such as Charles Woodson or Ronde Barber.

Cant wait until we find someone better

Just goes to show if we could get a Good CB2 we would dominate pass coverage.

The sad thing about Marshall was he was in a perfect scheme for his talent and still sucked. Add in the fact our Defense was very basic and he could not grasp his coverages and you understand why we did not pay him.

Im curious wether teams were really hesitant to throw to Gamble because of him, or because it was so easy to throw at the 2nd and/or 3rd CB.

My thoughts exactly, though I do think that Gamble is a good-to-very good corner who can be great with the right motivation ... last year was not one of those situations.

Archived