• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera should hit the brakes on picking QB

panther4life

I think Jimmy did more with less this week and was a smidge better last week. He's gained some confidence and there's no harm in letting Cam sit and continue to learn.

I'm not for or against either QB here, I didn't want to draft either of them, but I do want to win now- but moreso long term and I think Cam sitting right now acheives that.

Agree totally with this post, It would be different if Cam came out and wasn't still throwing off his back foot and tossing ankle passes.

He isn't ready, it's clear as day, nothing wrong with letting him sit and learn.

This is my opinion that he will be named the starter. Hopefully Rivera will end the speculation next week and name one of them the week 1 starter and I think it will be Cam.

I think Clausen has slightly outplayed Cam in camp and in the preseason games though.

So the question I pose is simple. SHOULD he start??

Although I am a hugger and wanted Cam from the beginning I was never keen on him starting day one. I thought he should be on the sideline until he was deemed ready to go. I didn't put a time frame on it, I said if he is ready week 1 he should start week 1; if he isn't ready until next year he should sit until next year.

But from what has been reported from camp and what i have seen on TV the reason I think Cam starts is this:

Ask yourself one question. Although Clausen has probably slightly outplayed Cam to this point, is he really so far ahead of Cam that you actually have to start him? I don't think so. I don't think the gap is large enough that Jimmy has to start over Cam Newton. Therefore it is a draw or a split decision in which case (like boxing) the decision goes to the #1 pick.

Here is the issue that Ron Rivera is faced with. In all likelihood this is Cam's basement. He likely will not get worse than he is right now as a rookie. At the same time there is also a chance that Clausen is at his ceiling and he simply has no other gear he can get to. I am not necessarily saying that is the case but it is possible.

Not to mention the money invested in the #1 pick means the decision to start Cam's development probably take precedence over seeing if Clausen is at his ceiling

So all of this is a long winded question of, what would you do? Go ahead and start Cam with the thought that he will improve as the season and his career progresses and eventually surpasses Jimmy or start Jimmy and see if he can hold the fort down until you think Cam is 100% ready??

Archived