• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

conversation with newton re: 89's coverage

rayzor

pretty good short read on how teams have been dealing with the cam-smitty connection, what he's seeing and how he's dealing with it.

He's a tremendous receiver and caught a lot of people off-guard as far as his value to this team. But last week was probably the week that he got the most attention that I've ever seen anybody (get),” Newton said of the Bucs' coverage.

They were rolling to him. They were pressing him, also. Having a guy under him and over the top of him, so it was physically impossible for me to make an accurate throw without putting the ball in jeopardy.”

Smith is still tied for second in the NFL with 1,092 receiving yards. But Newton said part of his maturation process has been spreading the ball around to different receivers when Smith is covered.

You just see the safeties pre-snap and I think that's something that came with time, playing game after game, practice after practice,” Newton said.

The games begin to slow down, so to speak, and you see the safeties sliding over to Steve's side and all the attention that he's getting. We try to do a good job of moving Steve around a lot. But they're going to find 89, regardless.”

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/12/cam-newton-defenses-focusing-on-steve-smith.html

last 3 paragraphs were pretty encouraging to me as far as cam's development goes. he's seeing exactly what he should be seeing and he's taking care of it the right way.

if cam keeps spreading the ball around the way he is effectively, then teams will find it pretty hard to justify so much attention on smitty. things will open up for him as defenses adjust to our spreading the ball around.

So Newton now resorts to lying since everyone knows he is not passing because he is does not want to break the NFL interception record that he was on a fast pace to do at 14 picks 3 games ago do he makes the safe TE dumps or runs in a jam. Smith better take note who Newton is looking out for and its not him.

found pffl's account

That was the first time he faced Tampa. Lets see how he does against Atlanta when he faces them again. He mentioned in his weekly press conference that this as the first time he has ever had the opportunity to face a team more than once in a year. Usually you have to wait until next year to face a team twice. He never had that kind of coverage on Steve and said he didn't know how to get the ball in there with all that pressure. And I expect he would like to have that underthrown ball back. He is learning and developing but has good instincts. Honestly I can't fault a guy for doing the best he can at the time. I expect that he, smitty and Chud will have some different looks set up for when we face Tampa again. As for Atlanta I hope he has a lot more success.

All the best receivers come down with jumpballs when their quarterback throws it up for grabs. Fitz,Smith,AJ,CJ,Jennings. Difference is the other quarterbacks know how to put it in a spot where only the receiver will get it or no one else will. Cam's a rookie so i'm not complaining but once he learns how to do that consistently this offense will be even MORE explosive.

Archived