• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Would It Take For Carolina to Trade Out of the 1st Round?

chknwing

i keep going back to that scenario where the bengals give up their two first rounders for our first.

that would suffice.

ideally it would be with some dumb and desperate team willing to give up their 1st, 2nd, and 4th this year as well as their 1st and 4th next year...but no team is that dumb or desperate, are they?

:lol:

To trade OUT of the first from #8 or 9: this year's 2nd, 3rd, next year's 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Dropping from #8 or 9 all the way down to (I'm going to assume high in the 2nd just so it's not completely ludicrous) mid 30s to early 40s would be VERY costly. Just for the Falcons to move up from #27 to #6 (21 spots) it cost a 2nd, a 4th, next year's 1st and 4th. To move up 25-35 spots, completely out of the 1st round, asking for a 3rd and next year's 1st, 2nd 3rd would almost be considered a bargain comparatively. In case it wasn't obvious, I'm not including the trading-up-teams' pick they're moving up from (in the Browns-Falcons trade the #27 overall, in our theoretical scenario the high 2nd round pick) because that's defined in the "moving up" part of it. The cost is the extra they have to give up for the player, in addition to their original pick.

I'd jump at the opportunity, since there looks to be some good value on defense at the top of the 2nd (at LB, DT, CB) but it'd take a REALLY desperate team to make that offer.

People only make those kind of jumps for playmakers. QB's and WR's are the main target.

Unless RGIII or Blackmon drops to us, then forget such a trade. I mean, you see someone giving up the farm for Rieff? DeCastro? Coples? Still? That is who we will have to choose from at 8/9

I can see Sannu making a big push at the Combine. He's already a late first round guy with a slow 40ty. If he shows good at the Combine with good numbers then he could make a push to be a the second rated WR in the draft. Another possibility is Wright (top 15 rated right now) if he shows faster then his expected 4.44 or his a bit taller then expected that would push him up into the top 10.

At QB a team could fall in love with Tannehill if he shows at the Combine. If he runs his expected 4.5 and shows off a good arm and good touch. Bam he's a top 10 guy sitting there at 8-9 and I'm sure a team that needs a QB would trade up for him.

Archived