• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Possible Surprise FA?

L-TownCat

I don't see the need.

I think there is a need. About a month ago, Pat Yasinksas of ESPN did a comparison of teams in the NFC South that detialed the percentage of snaps WRs in the division played. Carolina had 3 in the top 5.

Now consider a few facts:

1. The offense requires WRs to run a lot of deeper patterns.

2. Cam's scrambling ability required WRs to run longer routes.

3. The Panthers were great in the first three quarters of games in 2011.

We gain Gettis, probably lose Naanee, and Pilares, Edwards, and Tutu participated in less than 5% of the snaps.

Could part of the problem in the fourth quarter be due to fatigue? If we throw the ball 30 times a game and the average pass play is about 4 seconds or more, then that is the equivalent of 30 40-yard dashes. Not to mention special teams and blocking for running plays. Smith is 32, Lafell was never a burner, so could it be possible that our WRs did not have the same speed, breaks etc--were not getting the same separation in the fourth quarter because they started showing signs of fatigue? Yes.

That is why we are looking for a 4th WR in the draft. Gettis, Lafell, and Smitty may be a good top three, but we need a guy who is a threat who can rotate into the lineup, keeping our big dogs fresh.

I do not care how great a player conditions, speed declines at the end of a game. Our WRs run more linear routes, run longer routes because Cam extends plays, and they lead the division by having our top 3 WRs in the top 5 in the conference in snaps played.

We are not signing a free agent, however. And this guy drops key passes. NO WAY. Here are a few names we will consider late in the draft:

Jeff Fuller -- lotta drops at Tex AM, but he was injured a lot. Upside is nice.

Devon Wylie--my personal favorite. Combine Steve Smith's combine measurements and collegiate numbers as a punt returner/WR with Wes Welker and you get this guy. Injury history a concern.

Tim Binford--Tenn Tech WR who made all CBs look like chumps at the East West game.

I think there is a need. About a month ago, Pat Yasinksas of ESPN did a comparison of teams in the NFC South that detialed the percentage of snaps WRs in the division played. Carolina had 3 in the top 5.

We gain Gettis, probably lose Naanee, and Pilares, Edwards, and Tutu participated in less than 5% of the snaps.

Could part of the problem in the fourth quarter be due to fatigue? If we throw the ball 30 times a game and the average pass play is about 4 seconds or more, then that is the equivalent of 30 40-yard dashes. Not to mention special teams and blocking for running plays. Smith is 32, Lafell was never a burner, so could it be possible that our WRs did not have the same speed, breaks etc--were not getting the same separation in the fourth quarter because they started showing signs of fatigue? Yes.

That is why we are looking for a 4th WR in the draft. Gettis, Lafell, and Smitty may be a good top three, but we need a guy who is a threat who can rotate into the lineup, keeping our big dogs fresh.

I do not care how great a player conditions, speed declines at the end of a game. Our WRs run more linear routes, run longer routes because Cam extends plays, and they lead the division by having our top 3 WRs in the top 5 in the conference.

I think we were better in the 4th Q than the 3rd Q. Passing game was horrific in the 3rd.

When did Norv join the Panthers?

what do you think Chud is running here? what do you Chud was running in Clev.....

same principles. RB, TE, #1 WR is how their scheme runs. No Chud or Norv team has ever had great production from a #2 WR. Decent during injury plagued seasons maybe......

Just b/c Chud is working in Cam's skill set doesn't mean the #2 and # 3 WR spots now are going to be big players in our offense.

......oh and Norv's son is here.....where do you think he got that fumblerooski from. His dad in SD ran the exact same play a couple years ago. It wasn't some new brainstorm created here. What Norv has done and what Chud did in Clev.......does provide a great deal of insight.

I think we were better in the 4th Q than the 3rd Q. Passing game was horrific in the 3rd.

I should have said second half and not fourth quarter--the fourth was bad, but not as bad as the third. I agree with you, I thought so too.You are right. Still, this doesn't disrprove the point.

During the first and second quarters of games, SuperCam hit on 60+ percent of his passes and had a touchdown percentage of more than 5 percent. Also in those quarters, he had only three interceptions apiece throughout the season and sported his best QB Ratings at 103.2 and 90.3. SuperCam registered his most yards in the fourth quarter of ball games (as we scrambled to get back in it after we blew a lead or one-score deficit in the third quarter at 1,182, but only completed about 52 percent of his passes in the last frame as he was forced to look down the field and sported a quarterback rating of 78.4 while throwing five interceptions. It is the third quarter performance he turned in during several key games that separated us from the contenders, however. In the third quarter, Cam's yardage dropped off considerably, he threw six picks and had the lowest QB Rating of any quarter - 65.5. His touchdown percentage plummeted to 2 percent

http://www.derp/2012/2/19/2810323/the-second-half-blues-coaches-gave-games-away-in-2011

FOR THE SKEPTICS: You can argue about the source all you want, but he is presenting statistics, not opinions.

I do not care how great a player conditions, speed declines at the end of a game. Our WRs run more linear routes, run longer routes because Cam extends plays, and they lead the division by having our top 3 WRs in the top 5 in the conference in snaps played.

We are not signing a free agent, however. And this guy drops key passes. NO WAY. Here are a few names we will consider late in the draft:

Jeff Fuller -- lotta drops at Tex AM, but he was injured a lot. Upside is nice.

Devon Wylie--my personal favorite. Combine Steve Smith's combine measurements and collegiate numbers as a punt returner/WR with Wes Welker and you get this guy. Injury history a concern.

Tim Binford--Tenn Tech WR who made all CBs look like chumps at the East West game.

I don't see the need to sign a FA like Johnson. I would prefer to build upon the things we have with LaFell and invest more time in Gettis. If there is a guy they like in the draft then sure. I'd like to see FA money going elsewhere.....notably the secondary.

I used to think we needed a WR in the worst kinda way, but LaFell showed me something this past season, and Gettis showed me something before that. It may be misguided, but I believe in them. Not to mention we have Pilares and Ajirotutu waiting in the wings (who Bolt fans says has some talent). This along with the fact that Cowherd says the draft should be deep with good quality WRs makes me want to spend what money we have almost exclusively on developing a legitimate pass rush and a higher level db.

Archived