• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dante Rosario

uptowndlo34

I think you are right on about Rosario. I can remember at least 3 times last year that Jake threw him the ball and it bounced out of his hands and was intercepted. Other times he failed to fight for the ball or go up and just get it. One thing about Smith is that if he doesn't catch it, he tried to keep the other guy from getting it as well. Rosario failed to do that.

I think that if we draft a tight end this year it will be to replace Rosario not King or Barnidge. I think the whole team is waiting for Barnidge to break out this year. Rosario still has upside but his stock is going down.

Yeah, I really like Barnidge, and think he will be a very good TE for us. The biggest knock on him coming out of college was his weight and strength, and they were the only big issues I saw when I watched some Louisville replays after the draft. And fortunately, they are correctable.

I hope Barnidge steps up. He reminds me a little of Jarrett. Big man with soft hands. King is our #1 TE because he is our best blocker. We are a run oriented team and obviously he fits the bill better. That being said. Barnidge if he can get stronger and become more of a factor in the running game I definitely feel he could cause problems for King and take the #1 spot.

Go Panthers

...not a myth at all.it looks even on paper because jake would threw it to moose in lots of short routs when they shut smith down..but most of the time he throws to smith even when someone else open.

That because he is STEVE SMITH!!! It doesn't matter if he's covered :)

Yeah, I really like Barnidge, and think he will be a very good TE for us. The biggest knock on him coming out of college was his weight and strength, and they were the only big issues I saw when I watched some Louisville replays after the draft. And fortunately, they are correctable.

After all the drama of his week one game winning catch, Rosario largely disappeared. There was talk of him not finishing routes and such, which together with the drops likely cost him a lot of trust.

The Panthers gave Jeff King the second round tender, so he likely stays. Put that together with the fact they they've scouted a few "big receiver" type TEs this offseason and I can honestly ponder a 2009 roster that doesn't include Rosario.

Get a good enough TE threat or develop Barnidge, and you might even see King slide to #2 on the depth chart.

(that part's a bit of a reach, though)

Jake doesn't have the balls to throw to TE's. Moore does. Put Moore in the game damn it.

You must not have played QB. It takes balls to throw to WR's, as TE's are big targets generally not being covered by players devoted to such a task like CB's and safteies....

None of our TEs are anywhere near the talent of a Jason Witten, Tony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark, Antonio Gates, etc. Thus, they will be treated as such. Last season we had the perfect chance to open up the passing game even more with a WR (Hackett)...and we did nothing with him. Our TEs are here for blocking first, and the occasional catch second.

You must not have played QB. It takes balls to throw to WR's, as TE's are big targets generally not being covered by players devoted to such a task like CB's and safteies....

I was kidding. But its not like Jake or the coaches prefer to open up the offense very often.

John Fox prefers tight ends primarily as blockers.

Jeff Davidson likes to use tight ends as receivers.

Over the prior years, Fox's philosophy has been the dominant one (no shock since he's higher on the totem pole) but Davidson has been gradually given more freedom. This year, who knows?

I think it was more the accuracy of the throws than arm strength, specifically...

If you have inconsistent arm strength it's not about being unable to make quick throws, it's more about being less able to control how hard you throw the ball which means you could have a horrible time with over/underthrowing balls.

Ron Mexico is a great example of that. He was eaten alive by CBs when he was not throwing to Crumppler.

Archived