• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defensive Linemen Taken in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft over past two years

Cat'sGrowl

And here's the part where CRA is like "Pftt DTs? Those aren't even important! Everyone knows linebackers are where it's at!"

Then I'm just like...yeeeahhh, we're done here

Nope, never have said or implied they aren't important. That is just what you makeup as others opinions when people say we don't have to grab a raw DT early.

And if you don't know the importance of LB in the scheme Rivera plans to run (the one he didn't run last year) then you should look into that. Saying LB and is a need isn't saying DT play is not important or not a need.

But it helps your ability to argue when you can just make up stuff anf claim this what posters are saying....when they aren't

I'm all for building our defensive line up, it's like I've said tons of times, pass rush is second only to great QB play. DE/DT/3-4 OLB's will continue to have upward momentum leading up to the draft. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Ingram and Coples are gone at #9. I also believe Nick Perry will rise, maybe even to the Bills. I just wish I had more tape on Dontari Poe, I saw one Memphis game from last season in which Poe looked rather average. I'm just curious how Hurney reads into Poe's lack of production. I honestly think Poe was just the victim of a pathetically under-talented team. I also want to get more info on Brockers. In the end, beefing up our defensive line should be priority #1.

so what is the point here, calling out a certain few that seem to think we have a bigger need at LB than DT? or that the DT position is either learned in the 1st year or bust?

I don't think we have a bigger need...just that

we have a need. With needs at every spot on D I think Carolina should go BPA when drafting defense

If Beason comes back at even 80%, and we have no reason whatsoever to believe he won't, we will have drafted a SLB top ten.

Maybe we can go Punter in the second.

A 80% Beason is a pretty average LB. Beason isnt THAT good. We still have no WLB and Anderson isn't anything special. Drafting a LB this year makes just as much sense as when we went after Beason.

So there seems to be this delusional myth by this certain segment of awkward people whom are overly obsessed with the term "BPA."

They seem to think, contrary to the evidence, that a DT takes 9 years to finally be able to contribute to a team. So I figured I'd post this here, and every time they say something to you like that in the future, you can point your finger and laugh and stuff.

Disclaimer: Frankly, I wanted to do a five year span, but began to wonder why I'm even bothering argue what is so apparent to everyone else, so this will have to do for now.

Marcel Dareus

Aldon Smith

JJ Watt

Nick Fairley

Robert Quinn

Ryan Kerrigan

Cory Liuget

Adrian Clayborn

Phil Taylor

Cameron Jordan

Muhammad Wilkerson

Cameron Heyward

That's 12 linemen out of 32 picks (or perhaps 31, since the Ravens were skipped)

12 Defensive linemen. Literally all of which saw immediate success in their first year. You may be wondering how many LB's were taken in the first round of last year's draft. One. The answer to that, is one. Let's keep moving.

Ndamukong Suh

Gerald McCoy

Tyson Alualu

Jason Pierre Paul

Derrick Morgan

Jared Odrick

Jerry Hughes

That's 7 there. There were 2 LB's taken in that round, and once again, the defensive linemen had a very high success rate and most all performed well their first season. I know someone will make the stupid argument but but but there isn't a Suh in this draft so let me stick this in before someone who thinks their witty comes in, jots it down, and then runs off back to the Lounge to show us more pictures of their cat.

There isn't a Calvin Johnson in this class either. That isn't going to keep a team in the top 10 from taking Justin Blackmon. There isn't a Jake Long in this class either, that isn't going to stop some team from taking Matt Kalil. There isn't an Ndamukong Suh in this class, but it isn't going to stop some defense needy team from taking a nice DT prospect. So take that argument, poop it out, so it can go to New Orleans with the rest of the feces.

Good Defensive Linemen can contribute immediately.

If the guys in the NFL offices feel there are good DLmen (which they obviously do..no e-nerd screaming zomg but he isn't Suh is going to sway the opinion of a fanbase who saw what the entire world saw last year-that our DT's arent good. (:eek6:)

Edit: For those who may be curious, the 2007 and 2009 drafts were also good for DLmen. '08 was poor but also saw like only four guys taken, so what does that tell you? I won't be bothered to write all it down...this is where you must became and man and type "Google" into your browser all by your lonesome.

Are you making a case of DE or DT??

Of the 19 players you listed I do believe only these 6 players start at DT in the NFL

Ndamukong Suh#2 Overall

Gerald McCoy #3 overall

Marcel Dareus#3 overall

Tyson Alualu #10 overall

Phily Taylor

Nick Fairley

(, Muhammed Wilkerson,Jared Odrick,Corey Liguet play primarily as DE'S in a 3-4 D).

I would like to know who you think is going to be as good as Suh or Dareus in this draft because if we find that guy then I will jump on DT bandwagon with everyone else.

Also you should've only posted DT's that play DT or NT the majority of the time.

My Argument was never that there wasn't a Suh in this draft, it was that there isn't a DT worth a top 10 pick. Hell, there isn't a DT worth a top 15 pick. At least not the ones most on here are talking about. "Poe and Brockers" The player that should be the top rated DT in this class at the moment would be Cox.

Do you see the Panther's drafting Cox at 9?

Are you making a case of DE or DT??

Of the 19 players you listed I do believe only these 4 players start at DT in the NFL

Ndamukong Suh#2 Overall

Gerald McCoy #3 overall

Marcel Dareus#3 overall

Tyson Alualu #10 overall

(Phily Taylor, Muhammed Wilkerson,Jared Odrick,Corey Liguet play primarily as DE'S in a 3-4 D).

I would like to know who you think is going to be as good as Suh or Dareus in this draft because if we find that guy then I will jump on DT bandwagon with everyone else.

Nick fairley played alot when healthy, also Phil Taylor is a DT in a 4-3 not a 3-4

Also you should've only posted DT's that play DT or NT the majority of the time.

My Argument was never that there wasn't a Suh in this draft, it was that there isn't a DT worth a top 10 pick. Hell, there isn't a DT worth a top 15 pick. At least not the ones most on here are talking about. "Poe and Brockers" The player that should be the top rated DT in this class at the moment would be Cox.

Do you see the Panther's drafting Cox at 9?

I'd take cox at 9; good combine, supposedly interviewed well, and the most important thing is that he produced in the SEC

I'd take cox at 9; good combine, supposedly interviewed well, and the most important thing is that he produced in the SEC

If they take him, I wouldn't be that upset about it. He's way better of a prospect then either Brockers or Poe. This talk of Brockers or Poe at 9 is just ridiculous.

Archived