• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line Projections

MadHatter

Did not see this posted elsewhere.

Evan Silva is projecting the panthers to have the No. 5 Offensive Line in the NFL based on past performance and changes made in the offseason.

5. Carolina Panthers

LT: Jordan Gross*

LG: Amini Silatolu

C: Ryan Kalil*

RG: Geoff Hangartner*

RT: Jeff Otah

Top reserves: T/G Byron Bell*, OT Lee Ziemba, G/C Mike Pollak, T/G Garry Williams, T/G Bruce Campbell.

Overview: Cam Newton's record-shattering rookie year might lead to you think otherwise, but Carolina's 2011 line strength was run blocking. The Panthers' 5.41 yards-per-rushing attempt average not only led the league, but was the second highest clip posted by any team in the last five years and third highest since 1997. Newton's running ability helped, but DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart both averaged well over five yards per tote. Carolina's front five got nastier with Silatolu's addition, and he could eventually flip positions with Hangartner to give the Panthers the meanest strong side of the line in the league. Carolina can take another step forward as a pass-blocking team if the light flips on in Otah's contract year. A dominant talent, Otah has appeared in just four games over the past two seasons. He says he's 100 percent healthy now.

http://www.rotoworld...e-line-rankings

I like it. Could be an interesting offseason next year if Otah stays healthy and dominates. We have a great blend of vets and youth on the line, and a couple of angry maulers as well. If players like Silatolu, Otah and Campbell flip the switch, we are set for a decade.

will be a great one in my eyes. Amini is gonna be a fav.

he was pretty much my non-decastro OG favorite and really the only OL that i wanted in the first few rounds not named decastro and kalil. i just didn't want to pick any OL up until 4th round but as the draft drew close it became more apparent that he was going to go early.

i'm excited we got him even if i would rather we went defense in the 2nd. i feel really good about him going down the road. first year he may look like he's got rollerskates on at times just like the vast majority of rookie OL but it won't take long for him to start putting DL on their butts.

Well if Otah plays like we know he is capable of playing, will he walk in FA or take a reasonable salary extension considering he plays every fourth game over his career?

ya, he owes us now. I dont give fug what kind of season he has, he needs to be givin up a bigtime home team discount next season if we decide that he can hold up.

ya, he owes us now. I dont give fug what kind of season he has, he needs to be givin up a bigtime home team discount next season if we decide that he can hold up.

On the off-chance that Otah plays well all year, I hope we are smart enough not to give him a big money deal.

On the bright side, it's going to be fun watching Amini.

I wouldn't re-sign Otah even if he does have a breakout year. Once he gets paid he's going to pull the same poo he has the past two years.

Completely disagree.

If he gets his knee straight, he is fine.

He had injuries the past two seasons that were nagging. He was not out of shape or overweight.

Are you saying that he is going to have knee issues again if we pay him? Makes no sense.

I figured you would disagree upon my post once I saw you quoted me; or anyone, it's usually your thing.

He's not reliable. I hope this makes sense to you: he'll could very well have a great year because his contract expires after this year; therefore he's inclined to work as hard as he can and will continue to play through injury (he saidi he could've played this year IIRC). Once he gets a new contract he will not be extrinsically motivated since he already has his money.

tl;dr: Otah is wasted money if he sits on the sideline half of the time.

he'll could very well have a great year because his contract expires after this year; therefore he's inclined to work as hard as he can and will continue to play through injury (he saidi he could've played this year IIRC). Once he gets a new contract he will not be extrinsically motivated since he already has his money.

I think what the FO will do is account for the fact that he has sat for two seasons. Even if he does have a great year, they wont pay him right away. He will have to earn a big contract from the Big Cat. I would guess they offer him a modest contract even if he balls and if he doesnt take it the FO will say fine.

Archived