• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line Projections

MadHatter

Love having Hangman as a backup. Not so much as a starter.

Looking at the prospects currently on roster though, I'm not sure there's an appreciably better option.

(maybe Bell plays better inside than he did at tackle)

I have re-watched the first 6 games over and paid a lot of attention to o-line play and think you and others are wrong about Hangartner. Our biggest weaknesses were def. Bell and Wharton. Wharton was not horrible but average at best and and if Silatolu pans out we will see major improvement. Assuming Silatolu picks up the playbook and Otah improves his pass blocking then o-ine will be very good next year.

Side note: its sickening to see just how close we were to a winning season last year. The AZ game def. should have been a win but inexperience or something caused us to whiff in coverage on 2 of their wide open TD's and the Peterson td return was a result of horrid special teams coverage.

The bears game was another we let slip through the cracks. We put up 543 total yards vs. their 317. And a huge chunk of their yards came off Forte runs where we missed multiple tackles at the 2nd level. Shockey missed his man and allowed a Mare kick to get blocked, then Mare whiffed on another (granted it was a 52 yard attempt). Then of course we got Hesterized to boot.

Then the first New Orleans game sucked too. We spotted them 10 points and very easily could have pulled that one out too. (worst part of that one was calling the timeout at the end of the first half to allow them to kick the field goal).

I have re-watched the first 6 games over and paid a lot of attention to o-line play and think you and others are wrong about Hangartner. Our biggest weaknesses were def. Bell and Wharton. Wharton was not horrible but average at best and and if Silatolu pans out we will see major improvement. Assuming Silatolu picks up the playbook and Otah improves his pass blocking then o-ine will be very good next year.

Side note: its sickening to see just how close we were to a winning season last year. The AZ game def. should have been a win but inexperience or something caused us to whiff in coverage on 2 of their wide open TD's and the Peterson td return was a result of horrid special teams coverage.

The bears game was another we let slip through the cracks. We put up 543 total yards vs. their 317. And a huge chunk of their yards came off Forte runs where we missed multiple tackles at the 2nd level. Shockey missed his man and allowed a Mare kick to get blocked, then Mare whiffed on another (granted it was a 52 yard attempt). Then of course we got Hesterized to boot.

Then the first New Orleans game sucked too. We spotted them 10 points and very easily could have pulled that one out too. (worst part of that one was calling the timeout at the end of the first half to allow them to kick the field goal).

I don't think Hangartner's awful. I just don't think he's great, either. Would much prefer him as a backup/rotation player.

In the past, he was always a better pass blocker than run blocker (rarely got any push). His run blocking looked somewhat better as the season went on last year, but still not good enough that I want him as the full time RG.

Of course, I have no say in that decision.

Really? He wasn't very goos? You don't say?

Run blocking is actually his strong suite and he is pretty damn good at it, look up some OL metrics before you post you will look like less of a fool.

Lol ok man...I watched bell...didn't see him move anybody off the line. Stop being so condescending dude

Anytime you brings in lots of competition, the position will be upgraded because even if an incumbent stays as the starter, he will have had to step up his game to win the position. So you get improved play and in the case of an injury you have a replacement readily available. Win/win for everyone.

Lol ok man...I watched bell...didn't see him move anybody off the line. Stop being so condescending dude

Right I suppose you watch coaches footage? and that you watched every single snap? Didn't think so, go check the profootballfocus.com offensive line metrics. Also you don't have to move someone off the line to be a good run blocker.

I watched a good deal of his play as well, he is an above average run blocker its pass protection that he is awful at, he is better suited at G were he will not need to block speed rushers.

I wouldn't re-sign Otah even if he does have a breakout year. Once he gets paid he's going to pull the same poo he has the past two years.

If Otah has a breakout year I see us putting the franchise tag on him- that should give us another good year out of him as even if he wants to walk the following year, he will have something to prove to other teams

Yeah, if Otah has a great and healthy year it could come back to bite us. Hurney will want to give him a big extension and if his injury issues pop up again after this year we'd have wasted quite a bit of cap space on him.

I'd rather see what Bell has to offer, see if Campbell can play, or long-term draft our future LT to play RT until Gross retires.

Right I suppose you watch coaches footage? and that you watched every single snap? Didn't think so, go check the profootballfocus.com offensive line metrics. Also you don't have to move someone off the line to be a good run blocker.

I watched a good deal of his play as well, he is an above average run blocker its pass protection that he is awful at, he is better suited at G were he will not need to block speed rushers.

I don't like referencing that site because I like to form my own opinions of players...but they just prove my point anyways. They said bell was horrible in every phase of the game and our worst o-lineman by a longshot

If Otah has a breakout year I see us putting the franchise tag on him- that should give us another good year out of him as even if he wants to walk the following year, he will have something to prove to other teams

No way he gets franchised imo. The tag for OTs is probably close to $10 million. It would be insane to do that.

Archived