• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Star Trek **Contains Spoilers**

Darth Biscuit

Yeah, that opening was awesome. Certainly one of the best I've ever seen. The way they set it up---you knew that the SFX were better, you knew the camera work was better, and the sounds were better, but it somehow still FELT like the exact same phaser blasts that the Enterprise has shot for the last forty years.

And you new it really wasn't your daddy's Star Trek after that lol.

So true! I noticed right off that the scenes that were shown "from space" didn't have any sound, just the music if even that. Like we suppose it would really be in a vacuum. It was the little things like that JJ Abrams is so good at doing. He can get the details right.

A couple of notes after watching it Friday night:

1. I probably missed it during the movie but what the heck was Nero doing after he destroyed the Kelvin? Don't tell me he "waited around" 20+ years for Spock to show up.

2. I haven't seen the bridge of the Enterprise so neat throughout the entire movie since the Motionless picture. Hardly any consoles exploding, cables falling, or helmsmen flying out into space through the hole in the bridge.

3. Loved the torpedos that split into multiple projectiles, the phasers, not so much. Guess I'm too used to to constant beam.

4. I had a feeling the Kobayashi Maru test was going to be in the film but was hoping to see his first two attempts.

5. Thank goodness for very little of this:

6. Isn't Nero's ship being sucked in the black hole going to send it even further back in time?

7. Not sure if I like the look of Engineering. It looked "out of place" in relation to the rest of the design of the ship.

8. The idea of having an alternative reality sounds like a cop out but considering how restrictive the movie could had been if it was forced to follow canon to the letter, it is only logical.

9. I didn't see any original series "fighting moves". Thank goodness!

They stole that....from Star Wars! Not to mention the little Ugnaught looking guy/sidekick of Scotty.

I liked it, but the part I liked was it was "dirty" and not aseptic like past Star Treks. The ships, people, locations weren't pristine...they were lived in. Got me past the convoluted story arc but that's what the show is known for I guess. But I've never been a big fan anyway.

Archived