• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down why our defense is bad

Snake

Here's how scheme could help - put 14 men on the field. We could prob run at least a half dozen series before the replacement refs caught it. It would also allow us to see Martin not in position to make a tackle and Haruki arriving at the end of the play and hitting someone hard - after a 17 yard gain.

we have plenty of talent on defense. good coaches work with what they have. The Patriots last season had 4th and 5th stringers starting and they were still able to make stops when necessary and make it to the Super Bowl. The Giants game was all about piss poor coaching and a lack of preparedness, leading to the players thinking all they had to do was show up to win.

Snake, great analysis. Rivera needs to be called out on opting to play prevent defense the whole entire fuging game. Person is spineless. We need to mass email the Observer or something.

Without reading too much into anything, the fact that we've been dominated on both sides of the line of scrimmage in the losses is what stands out to me. Our D was torched because we literally got ZERO pressure on Eli. No NFL secondary will hold up when a NFL QB has that much time and comfort.

The giants o-line gave Brown the first 3 yards almost every time he touched it, when they didn't he benefited from shoddy tackling. Even seasoned players like Beason were failing to wrap up, what should have been TFL ends up being 20+ yard gain.

To stay on topic with the thread I will keep this focused on the D-Line. We knew it was a weakness, it's still THE weakness. They constantly fail to hold the point of attack and too often no pressure. This will be a long long season for our defense because that line isn't changing and the talent simply isn't there.

Unfortunately most of our talented guys on Defense are ones who rely on other top talents to set the tone/be the defense. Gamble and Johnson come to mind. They have the talent to rise to an elite bar, but they need someone else on the D to set the bar for them. Beason used to be that guy. He's not yet this year. Sadly our best defensive player is TD and he can't be on the field very much yet. The thing I think our D truly lacks though is a Bad Man. We have no bite on D unless we play a bitter rival like the Saints. We should have guys hitting and pushing the other team like we did to Jimmy Graham every game. Norman could eventually be that guy, but right now he's too young and punky, also not really proven as a big threat yet. I've always thought Greg Hardy could be that guy, but its like he's standing on the edge of the pool, yet to dive in. We need mean guys.

you're*

I suggest you make an attempt at proper grammar when insulting the intelligence of your betters.

Calling you a drama Queen is not insulting your intelligence more you mental state. Also using your in a possessive state is correct. So no your not my better, and yes it was correct grammar. Sorry I cant help you posses symptoms of being a dumb ass.

I agree.

Hurney has managed to ignore two of the top 3 positions on a good D.

DT, CB, DE. Those are premium positions, and we are hoping that a rookie and scrub DT's can take us to the promise land.

IF we lost Gamble for a few weeks....good lord it would be ugly.

gamble is our best cb yet imo average at best. losing gamble wouldn't be much different from now... he misses many tackles, actually as much as martin and company....however those positions are must have spots. screw youthful players, get vets!

gamble is our best cb yet imo average at best. losing gamble wouldn't be much different from now... he misses many tackles, actually as much as martin and company....however those positions are must have spots. screw youthful players, get vets!

hes a cover corner, not a linebacker. ive seen Revis miss tackles, terrible corner i guess right?

beason was apparently playing with a bad shoulder? i thought i heard rivera mention that in his presser... which would explain his poor performance, hes definately not himself right now

we are another draft and free agency period away from having a defense that will be able to properly execute the defensive scheme. we're missing two or three key guys that can make plays and hold their own.

hitting the reset button during the lockout cost this team very dearly.

it's not hard to break down why our defense is bad...it lacks talent along the line and in the secondary...two areas where you need playmakers and two areas that marty hurney just doesn't value...charles johnson is good, not great...the rest of the d-line is just a bunch of guys...gamble like johnson is good, not great...norman could have potential but it's still way too early to tell...munnerlyn is alright in the nickel but he is a disaster on the outside matched up against bigger WR's which is just about any WR in the league...our safeties can't tackle...godfrey can have his moments where he looks like an adequate safety but for the most part he's too inconsistent...nakamura is a joke...i've seen him get run over or dragged more than i can count in the first three games

i'm not gonna sit here and blame the coaching when i don't think the coaches are being given much to work with

football is won in the trenches.

last 10 years, Pitt and NY G's have been to SB several times. They both concentrate on their lines

Our D Line cannot stop the run, nor get to the QB. Like a basketball team saying, "we were short, but we were slow".

Rest of the D would come into its own if we had a line.

Taking a que from Pitt and NY in future drafts would be good.

We need to leave Kuechy on the field. Quit taking him out. The guy makes plays. He's better than both Anderson and Beason right now

I said this in another thread and was told I was wrong. I am with you on this cause Beason missed the interception where he could not elevate for an easy pick. Mental are whatever, he is not ready to be on the field on passing downs. Look what Sproles did to him last week. Anderson has been repeatedly merqued by TEs in this league. He is a good serviceable LB, not Lawrence Taylor. When they play Keuchly's college film, all you see is picks. Youth cannot grow off the field.

Archived