• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone ever sold a car to CarMax?

mr beauxjangles

My fiance and I no longer need two cars, and with her Jetta being only two years old and having only 9,500 miles on it, and my 2003 Mini having around 125,000 miles, well, the Mini is gonna go. I haven't driven it much at all in the past two years (maybe once a month). It runs fine, but I haven't taken great care of it and I'm sure a mechanic would find a number of recommended repairs.

I know that I could get more for it if I listed it myself rather than taking it to a dealer or CarMax, but I kind of just want to get this over with and not bother with trying to meet people, take them for test drives, and do all that crap. Has anyone ever sold a car to CarMax? Did you get what you thought was a fair offer?

When my father in law passed away back in 09 we sold them his Mercedes Benz E350.

They gave us well above Kelly Blue Book for it and we were very pleased with the process. We probably could have gotten more for it to an individual but in the end it was worth it for us.

Go get their offer.

Then do a search on craigslist, cars.com, autobytel for used minis, similar to your year / mileage.

You will get a sense of whether it is a fair deal. If you can post a craigslist post that beats all the other

ads, you will sell it off very quickly. And possibly for $1000's more than what carmax might offer you.

Okay, since some of you suggested it, consider this my formal posting:

2003 Mini Cooper S

Sport package, manual transmission (all of them are...), sunroof, leather, high-quality all-season tires with little wear, blah blah blah

Roughly 125,000 miles; first 110,00 were driven almost exclusively highway miles between Raleigh and Ocean Isle (it was my father's weekend car before I bought it from him).

Average condition - it doesn't need any major repairs, but could certainly use some maintenance.

No wrecks

Located in Atlanta. Discounts available for Panther fans. Premiums will apply to any Falcons fans. Will consider accepting Bojangles as part of payment since it is so hard to come by here in Atlanta.

KBB says $5,700 for fair condition; $6,660 for good condition. I'd certainly accept a reasonable offer for less.

This is not my car but it's the same year, model, and color:

WMWRE33423TD67137_1.jpg

If this is considered solicitation or against the terms then remove this post and accept my insincerest apologies.

You forgot to the add the price you want...

Okay, since some of you suggested it, consider this my formal posting:

2003 Mini Cooper S

Sport package, manual transmission (all of them are...), sunroof, leather, high-quality all-season tires with little wear, blah blah blah

Roughly 125,000 miles; first 110,00 were driven almost exclusively highway miles between Raleigh and Ocean Isle (it was my father's weekend car before I bought it from him).

Average condition - it doesn't need any major repairs, but could certainly use some maintenance.

No wrecks

Located in Atlanta. Discounts available for Panther fans. Premiums will apply to any Falcons fans. Will consider accepting Bojangles as part of payment since it is so hard to come by here in Atlanta.

KBB says $5,700 for fair condition; $6,660 for good condition. I'd certainly accept a reasonable offer for less.

This is not my car but it's the same year, model, and color:

WMWRE33423TD67137_1.jpg

If this is considered solicitation or against the terms then remove this post and accept my insincerest apologies.

Funny you should ask... We just sold them my wife's car yesterday...

It was a 2012 Chevy Equinox that we've had since March, and put almost 12k miles on... Got $24,000 for it, which was an $8,000 hit from what we paid.

I think it was a fair offer, since most of the comparable ones we've found for sale online are around $26k-$28k. but I figure that is the dealer/seller's haggle price.

We also, back in February, sold them a 2008 Chevy Tahoe. We were just taking it in to see what kind of offer they would give us, and a car carrier ended up backing into it when the Carmax girl was test driving it. They ended up giving us $33,000, which was only $900 less than KBB. Yeah, because of the circumstances, they probably gave us more than they would have, but they treated us right.

Several years ago, we sold them a 2001 Chevy Blazer that we had bought from them a couple years earlier for $9,000. They gave us $6,000 when we sold it back.

I dunno why people give them a bad name. They've been nothing but great to us. They are a very valid alternative to having to post it online, deal with potential buyers negotiating, etc. etc.

Their offer is good for seven days. Give it a shot and see what they offer you.

They will give you a week to accept their offer. Take it to them and see what they offer you.

Take that number and use your own good judgement on a reasonable markup to ask for on craigslist. If you can not sell it within a week and get nervous then go back to carmax and take their offer if you thinks it's fair.

Archived