• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera may be gone today

Darknight

Honestly I don't feel like Ron is the guy who is going to take the team over the top. But in a year with one of the biggest black Mondays ever, sadly it's just not the time to throw ourselves into that market. Give him next year, but bring him in some experienced help (Norv).

Honestly I don't feel like Ron is the guy who is going to take the team over the top. But in a year with one of the biggest black Mondays ever, sadly it's just not the time to throw ourselves into that market. Give him next year, but bring him in some experienced help (Norv).

I agree he isn't a Super Bowl winning coach. Which is enough for me to say cut ties and bring and someone who you think gives us a better shot

I agree he isn't a Super Bowl winning coach. Which is enough for me to say cut ties and bring and someone who you think gives us a better shot

Who do you bring in, though, and what if one of the other 8 teams needing a coach gets them?

If we fire Ron, we'll more than likely have to settle for our 3rd or 4th choice in this market, and if we're doing that why even fire Ron at all?

Who do you bring in, though, and what if one of the other 8 teams needing a coach gets them?

If we fire Ron, we'll more than likely have to settle for our 3rd or 4th choice in this market, and if we're doing that why even fire Ron at all?

Short list if we fire Ron now is Kelly smith McCoy at least two I'd take over Ron with no questions asked. We are far more attractive then 6 of the 7 only behind the bears. We could grab anyone if we acted quick enough. The point is Rivera shouldn't be kept after handling the first 11 weeks of this season. He must pay

Not "reading past," was quoting your very words.

But you're simply saying the offense was piss-poor because of the coaching, when in fact the offense works extremely well for some college teams. So, is their coaching better or is their execution better? I'll break it down for you. The read option- as designed by Chud for the Panthers- does not work in the NFL for a single, simple reason- the placement of the hashmarks. The RO offense Chud wants to run requires the QB to stretch the play parallel to the line of scrimmage before making the commitment as to a QB run, pitch or pass.

It works in college because the hash marks are 60' from the sideline and 40' between them. NFL hashmarks are almost 20' narrower. In the college game the placement of the ball on the hashmarks allows for short-siding the field either left or right and, conversely, gives a college offense a lot more room to one side to stretch the option. Chud attempted to run this same style option with much less field space, hence, we saw Cam run out of room before the play even developed.

This is but one reason the RO offense doesn't work in the NFL.

I'm aware of it working in college. My team runs it a lot and yes sometimes it's a good thing. Btw props on doing your homework a lot of people don't know how the zone read actually works and think it's just as simple as looking at an end and then a 50-50 chance. However, It's on chud to know that it won't work in the NFL. I'm not saying the coaching didn't make it work i'm saying it was a terrible idea that Chud shouldn't have acted on. Rivera has always said he left the offense to Chud. When he found out his job was on the line when Hurney was gone we started to see it stop some. I think Rivera has learned his lesson as far as where he should and shouldn't be with this team which is why I say the choice would be chud if someone had to go but I wouldn't look at Rivera. I also like the points that have been brought up really who can we get that would be better anyways?

Other than maybe needed one more decent WR and patching up the O-line a little, I like our offense, and I think it has been working more often than not.

We were the lowest scoring offense in the NFC South this year.

We were the fourth lowest scoring offense in the NFC.

Thanks to the putridness that was the AFC this year, we were pretty much dead middle in scoring offense in the NFL.

We had BAD offensive problems this year, mainly in the first half of the season. And the primary reason it was bad was because Chud thought he was a genius, set out to prove it, and refused to change it when it was going wrong. Until it was too damned late.

So you know he isn't a super bowl winning coach? And you think Chip Kelly or Mike McCoy are? Based on what?

I noticed extreme improvement with how well the run defense was playing, and we started being able to wear teams down a bit, and then finish. Its all about understanding a system, and how other players react to situations in that given system.

Was that due to coaching?

Or due to picking up Dwan Edwards?

At this point I am 50/50 on the matter. It won't upset me if he leaves, it won't upset me if he stays. I just hope if he is let go we have an idea of who will replace him. My intuition say's we don't, b/c Jerry probably doesn't even remember his name some days. If this franchise didn't have Cam Newton, we would be in real trouble.

Archived