• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who else remembers...

Mr. Scot

the pain has faded some for me over the years but if i really think about it i can almost recreate the feeling.

the torture of it is that i can so easily visualize the NFL films shot of tom brady slow-mo walking off the field with a scowl on his face while being showered with silver and blue confetti. i can picture jake wearing a super bowl XXXVIII champions hat and waving the lombardi trophy around like a madman on the podium. like it almost seems real for a second, but i know it's not.

I remember after the NFC Championship Game...I was 16, and my dad drove me, my 15 year old brother and my 14 year old cousin to the stadium when the team flight landed back in Charlotte. It was so cold and loud...everyone in the city was honking and yelling all night. When the team arrived there were what had to be several thousand people in front of the stadium.

There were 4 of us watching the Eagles game in Greensboro- the sports bar that was in the hotel at I-40 and Guilford College Rd- and as soon as the game was over we drove to Charlotte and hung out at the stadium all night... that was probably the most fun I ever had being a Panther fan... aside from every time they ever beat the Cowboys.

After the Rams game I had a real sense that a Panthers Super Bowl trip could actually happen. That game was so incredible to watch. So many times I thought it was lost only to see us pull out the victory in dramatic fashion :D

After that, the Eagles game was almost anticlimactic. It was nowhere near as exciting as the Rams game, though I would say Ricky Manning's three picks and DeShaun Foster's ridiculous end zone run were epic moments to watch. And likewise, seeing Muhammad's TD catch early on again gave me the sense that it just might be in the cards for us to win.

No, it didn't end like we ewould have wanted, but it was at least competitive.

Good memories :)

I just remember the vibe around Charlotte in general. There was support everywhere. I remember driving by the stadium a week before the game and there were people having their picture taken with all the statues. I miss that vibe around the city the most.

Heck, there was buzz like that in Fayetteville (where I lived at the time). I had never seen anything like it before.

After the Rams game I had a real sense that a Panthers Super Bowl trip could actually happen. That game was so incredible to watch. So many times I thought it was lost only to see us pull out the victory in dramatic fashion :D

The Rams were in position to win that game a couple of times. Martz went uncharacteristically conservative late in the game. He was so afraid that Bulger would throw a pick that he essentially gave the game away.

There is a lesson in there somewhere...

I can remember watching that Eagles championship game on TV and not being able to sit down at all ...

What a great game that was!

I watched it at a bar called the Bitter End in the British Virgin Islands. There were a few Philly fans there, and my wife and I were the only Panther fans.

Suffice it to say we were pretty loud in our support of the team, but not in an obnoxious way. By the end of the game, the whole bar was pulling for the Panthers except for those 4 or 5 Philly fans.

Those are the kind of memories that make the losing years a tiny bit more tolerable.

I saw the youtube clip of the Rams interception and pass to Smith just today.

Ended up watching the SB with neighbors, as I didn't want to be alone, my (ex) wife could not take my freaking out, etc. Didn't sleep for 2 nights afterwards thinking about what they could have done to save the game, it was pretty pathetic.

I remember reading various message boards - the official board, Charlotte observer, etc, and scoffing that people thought we would win.

I guess that's why the loss didn't sting me so much. I actually expected us to be creamed pretty bad.

After the first quarter, the score was 0-0, and I was impressed. I was hoping our D line would live up to their reputation, but they never did. I believe Jake started out like 1 for 11 or something. That's about what I expected.

Then the second half came around and something clicked in him.

I remember after Moose's 85 yard TD thinking we should've dragged that series out because the defense has been on the field way too much. Then we scored quickly again.

Had the two point conversions worked, the out of bounds kickoff wouldn't have mattered. I don't think it mattered anyway - Fox's bizarre timeout before our last score is what gave New England the time they needed.

Archived