• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Backup QB

SCP

jake_delhomme_iconphotostwo050158-nfl-aug-09-pres.jpg

Sign him to a 1-year deal and let the man retire a Panther while mentoring Cam in the process. Assuming he wouldn't mind being a backup QB on his old team... he should be available for peanuts.

38-year old broken down Jake is still a better option than Pickles. At least Jake knows a thing or two about the game.

When your starting quarterback is a guy that's still relatively young, I always favor having a veteran backup. Besides the stability, they help act as a mentor/supplemental teacher to the quarterback coach.

So if it's not Anderson, I'd prefer we go free agent.

Preferably, you're gonna want a guy who's been a starter at least at some point in his career (what good is experience if it's all bench experience?) Plus you'll wanna pay attention to the systems they've been in (no WCO guys) and you absolutely don't want guys with a history of issues (so hell no on Vince Young).

There are a few guys to choose from in that list who could work.

Garrard would seem like a reasonable choice from what you said. He's a very good character guy from his days in Jax and even seeing him on hardknocks he is very.... "chill".. He would probably rub off on Cam really well.

While I see the logic in your stance, I kinda want a backup who can still win games if the unfortunate happens... Like Matt Moore/ Campbell?. They will probably be more pricey so I would be content with Garrard/Josh Johnson.

Browns Fans have endured far worse.

They sure have--and there are qbs who tend to do better with age. I think Anderson is one of them.

They should have used the picks from the Julio Jones trade to get some studs, instead they walk away with a weak-armed, 30-year old QB and a RB.

I wonder if they would trade them both for RGIII now?

jake_delhomme_iconphotostwo050158-nfl-aug-09-pres.jpg

Sign him to a 1-year deal and let the man retire a Panther while mentoring Cam in the process. Assuming he wouldn't mind being a backup QB on his old team... he should be available for peanuts.

38-year old broken down Jake is still a better option than Pickles. At least Jake knows a thing or two about the game.

cm-31157-050a1849cdd48a.gif

bring back matthat MUOORE im sure a few poster would love it. trudat.

You jest, but I think there would be worse choices on that list. Matt may not have been much as a starter, but when he had to step in as a back up for us I seem to remember him doing a good job for the most part. And he certainly has been around long enough to know what he's doing and what's expected of him.

Archived