• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2013 NFL draft: Jonathan Cyprien working out for Panthers

CamNewton316

I've been saying for a while I think Gettleman's *IDEAL* scenario is to move down and grab whichever of the best players are left at receiver, or other good players at positions of need. Think this goes hand in hand with that.

Right, but with who? I don't see anyone trading with us.

Tough to say right now but I can see a couple possibilities:

Maybe the Vikings, because they have two firsts, looking to get ahead of the Rams who are likely to take a receiver if one of their liking is available at 16. Lets assume Tavon Austin is there when we are on the board at 14 yet the Panthers don't feel he is our guy. Thus, the Vikings look to provide Ponder another Percy Harvin-type weapon and jump in front of the Rams and trade for our 14th.

Another possibility: It is well documented the Saints are looking to move to a 3-4. I can see some other 3-4 teams behind the Saints looking to trade up for the best available 3-4 pass rusher available that will be there at 14; one pick ahead of the Saints. This could be Jarvis Jones, Ziggy Ansah, or Mingo.

If the Panthers are serious @ trading back 5-8 picks I think they could pull it off with some effort.

In doing so, the Panthers could manage to have a draft with the first three picks with the likes of:

1st. Keenan Allen/DeAndre Hopkins (Immediate upgrades at WR)

2nd. Larry Warford/Justin Pugh(Immediate upgrades on the OL)

2nd. Brandon Williams/Jesse Williams/Bennie Logan (immediate DT upgrade)

Three impact day 1 starters from this draft would bode extremely well for our season and the front office knows this.

Definitely doing their homework at some needy positions. DT, WR, and secondary are the biggest. Remember, Carolina was set to draft Mark Barron until Tampa snagged him two slots ahead of Carolina. Cyprien would be a solid 2nd round choice.

Unfortunately I think a lot of teams will be looking to trade back and not many will be looking to trade up. Maybe one of the top rated QB's falls into the teens and a team like Minnesota (who has two first round picks) wants to grab him.

Tough to say right now but I can see a couple possibilities:

Maybe the Vikings, because they have two firsts, looking to get ahead of the Rams who are likely to take a receiver if one of their liking is available at 16. Lets assume Tavon Austin is there when we are on the board at 14 yet the Panthers don't feel he is our guy. Thus, the Vikings look to provide Ponder another Percy Harvin-type weapon and jump in front of the Rams and trade for our 14th.

Another possibility: It is well documented the Saints are looking to move to a 3-4. I can see some other 3-4 teams behind the Saints looking to trade up for the best available 3-4 pass rusher available that will be there at 14; one pick ahead of the Saints. This could be Jarvis Jones, Ziggy Ansah, or Mingo.

If the Panthers are serious @ trading back 5-8 picks I think they could pull it off with some effort.

In doing so, the Panthers could manage to have a draft with the first three picks with the likes of:

1st. Keenan Allen/DeAndre Hopkins (Immediate upgrades at WR)

2nd. Larry Warford/Justin Pugh(Immediate upgrades on the OL)

2nd. Brandon Williams/Jesse Williams/Bennie Logan (immediate DT upgrade)

Three impact day 1 starters from this draft would bode extremely well for our season and the front office knows this.

This is a very well thought out opinion. I could definitely seeing this happening. I think we could trade down a couple of spots grab a 2nd or third in the process.

Here's a thought. Would you trade our Number 1 for for their #1 and a next year #1? I know we are looking for picks but to have an opportunity to have two first rounders in a draft might not be too bad.

I think the G-man is covering all the angles. If we could trade down a few spots and get an extra pick, it would be geat. We only have 5 picks , so an extra pick is needed. We still get a starter in the first and a possible two in the second . This gives Rivera every chance to win next season and make the playoffs. If we lose, he will be toast. The G-man is miles ahead of the Hurnia era.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really thinking that Cyprien may actually be the guy we're going to pick either at 14, or if we can trade back and take him in the later 1st. As I keep watching him, Cyprien is helluva damn beast.

I am not dumb enough to think that Rivera is going into the season with Campbell or Mitchell as the starting FS. Chico knows that the safety position is a huge need, and I really think that this is the year he address that position.

I really hope that he falls to 44, but hard to think that SF is going to pass him up in the 1st when Whitner is so bad and the loss of Goldson.

I wouldn't be upset if the Panthers selected him 14th overall. Cyprien is a vicious hitter but a great tackler. His coverage skills are above average too.

Cyprien should have his own stat for forced incompletions.

Me either. I like him more than Barron and supposedly we loved him last year.

Edit: I'd be pretty ok with Swearinger in the second if we don't grab Cyprien. I like him quite a bit as well.

Archived