• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Polian's assessment of the Panthers

NanceUSMC

I got in the car last night just in time to hear Bill Polian take a caller question (Late Hits, I believe it was) on the outlook of the Panthers, what he thought they might do in the draft, how he thought they'd done in free agency so far, and how he believes the 2013 season will go for them... Thought you all might appreciate a wrap on the segment...

He believes that Gettleman has set the team up in good position to be able to select the best available player in the 1st...

He believes the importance of retaining Munnerly cannot be overstated...

He identified the areas he believes the team needs to add talent or depth to, (no surprises) WR, OL, DL, CB, S and LB...

When asked how far he feels the Panthers will go in 2013, he directly stated that the team would go as far as Cam Newton would take them... He specifically said "are you getting the Cam Newton of the last 6 games, or the Cam of the first 10 games?"...

He said that (paraphrasing here) now that Urlacher and Lewis are out of the league, Kuechly is the league's premier MLB, and a player you build a defense around for a decade...

He does not feel that Smith's successor is on the roster currently, and seemed to hint that our biggest need was a true #2 receiver...

Basically confirms the feelings of many here, and much of what has already been discussed...

I don't think Polian trusted Hurney at all, he seems to have found a new perspective about the Panthers since he sees Gettle means business.

Polian knew Hurney was a cap guy - not a football guy. Hurney had not gone through the discipline of being a coach, scout, etc...

Archived