• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting interview with Mike Tannenbaum on Sirius today.

Strawman

Rich Gannon asked MT while he was Jets GM was there a decision he regretted. His answer is he wished in hindsight he had drafted more offensive skill position players. That when Holmes and Keller got hurt, there were no other receiving threats, and Sanchez was forced to make riskier throws. With Gettleman having been in the same market, there's little doubt he saw this as well.

The correlation with the Panthers is obvious, young QB, one legit WR, and a very good tight end being the major players. The possibility of injury to SS obviously grows as he gets older, and the thought of Olsen going down should make Panther fans queasy as well.

I was a proponent of DT or OG in the first round, but now I'm rethinking that philosophy. We absolutely need a WR, it may be our biggest need. Kennan Allen, C Patterson, or D Hopkins seem to be the way the club is leaning, and rightly so. The only other WR I see as a possibility who would be there after round 1 is A Dobson, who I'm extremely high on. Unless Star, or L Johnson fall to us, I think Gman will go best available WR at 1. I would hate to repeat the Jets mistake, with an offense that's looks ready to take that next step to possible elite status.

I agree with this direction totally. we are an injury or sudden retirement away from having nothing at WR. Ignoring or missing on this position will be foolish.

I made a thread during the season where i got killed for praising the Colts front office. I said that we should follow the model that the Colts are doing to surround Luck with Offensive weapons that will grow with him: TE Fleener, TE Dewayne Allen, WR TY Hilton, FA speed WR Donnie Avery, retaining veteran WR Reggie Wayne.

To me, the Colts had a plan from day 1 of Manning's release to have a vision and a focus to let Luck succeed with guys that will learn along side of him.

We have a few pieces in veteran WR Steve Smith, TE Greg Olsen but little else. Loius Murphy was a leap of faith that fell short..as they always seem to do..but ignoring WR and another TE is not an option. we need 2 quality WRs but deep enough to address the next draft as LaFell may not do enough to be retained.

Any of the top 3 Wrs will be fine to me..but Cam will need guys to be ready to go and its sad we will address this in season 3 of Newton's development. Smitty will be gone in two seasons or less and he will have to familiarize himself with even another WR. get these guys now and develop them NOW bc time is a running.

we have enough offensive weapons. There are just as many concerns at the other positions if someone gets hurt. If Jordan Gross goes down, who do we have to replace him. If dwan Edwards goes down, who do we have to replace him. If Luke Kuechly goes down, who do we have to replace him. The point is, that can be said about every position, not just WR.

we have enough offensive weapons. There are just as many concerns at the other positions if someone gets hurt. If Jordan Gross goes down, who do we have to replace him. If dwan Edwards goes down, who do we have to replace him. If Luke Kuechly goes down, who do we have to replace him. The point is, that can be said about every position, not just WR.

We have a lot of holes to fill no doubt but to say we have enough offensive weapons is laaughable as we scored less than 20 points 6 games of the season and 3 games where we scored 21. thats 9 games of 21 or less points.

Not 1 coordinator in the NFL fears Lafell or any other WR not named Steve Smith and honestly Greg Olsen is an above average TE but not a difference maker.

no we don't.

we have one legit recieving threat in smitty. we have one of the best TEs in the league, but beyond that it's average at best.

we need more receiving threats.

if smitty goes down, the passing game crumbles. that could be the most catastrophic thing to happen to not just the passing game or the offense, but the team as a whole...aside from maybe losing cam.

and smitty has a pretty active injury history. the style of football he plays and his age makes losing him for significant time this year.

we have to get another legit threat....and there's quite a few in this draft. screw this idea of not having any WR prospects worth the 14 spot. there are several who would be better than any non-smitty receiver in this draft and who could end up taking on the role as the #1 WR in the next couple years.

We have a lot of holes to fill no doubt but to say we have enough offensive weapons is laaughable as we scored less than 20 points 6 games of the season and 3 games where we scored 21. thats 9 games of 21 or less points.

Not 1 coordinator in the NFL fears Lafell or any other WR not named Steve Smith and honestly Greg Olsen is an above average TE but not a difference maker.

That punk ass in Cleveland is the reason we didn't score like we should have at the beginning of the season. It's crazy how some people here blame the players for his dumb ass play calling and game plans at the start of the season. You're crazy if you don't think we have weapons.

Hopkins, Lafell, Hixon looks alot better to me in case of an injury to Steve than Lafell,, Hixon, Pilares. Steve, Lafell, Hopkins, and Hixon sounds great. I agree with another poster who said earlier that Hopkins is used to playing with a mobile QB and that is a big plus.

Gettleman is considered great at talent evaluation. The fact that he looked at our Wr's and immediately said we need to upgrade should mean something to the people who think we are ok.

I don't think Ginn or Hixon mean we won't take a WR 1st or 2nd rd. Ginn is a special teams bandaid and Hixon is a number 3 WR at best. Those signings mean that Pilares, Gettis, Adams, Edwards are all on the chopping block. Gettleman didn't draft them.

We have brought in just about every top WR prospect. More visits than any other position. We are taking one high. I hope it is Hopkins or Hunter.

was the playcalling at times bad, yes. but this team lacks serious weapons on the outside compared to playoff teams.

Are you serious? Our Wr at no point this season cost us a game. How Chud performance this year gets past off as a lack of talent is crazy.

You can't say we have no vertical weaprons when

1. The Oline couldn't block long enough for a vertical pass game.

2. Cam is top 5 in yards per pass plays and has more completion of 20 or more yards then most QB in this league. The last 2 years.

Somebody is catching these deep passes.

How???

Ginn KR/PR - Austin and Patterson could be KR/PR

Hixon -#2 -#3 WR option - Every WR in the draft (this year) would be a #2-#3 Wr option.

So what is the difference??

Now FA not addressing needs in other Position is a good argument.

No CB we signed is a #1 CB.

No run stuffing DT.

No good complement to Godfrey at Safety.

No Oline signing at all.

That was a response about WRs....he asked why would we draft a WR since we brought some in via FA....

The high drafted kid and the FA WRs would serve different functions therefore the FA WRs don't impact the decision.

A first round draft pick....would be selected to be our future and a starter. Ginn is a return man who can be depth and Hixon pretty much the same but a better WR option. Both FA moves are about improving the depth....they weren't brought in to be fixtures and starters for this offense.

Ginn and Hixon are basically one year rentals to hopefully rid ourselves of the unimpressive bottom of our WR depth chart. Maybe one turns out to be little more but niether are here to suit the purpose of what drafting an early WR would

How???

Ginn KR/PR - Austin and Patterson could be KR/PR

Hixon -#2 -#3 WR option - Every WR in the draft (this year) would be a #2-#3 Wr option.

So what is the difference??

Now FA not addressing needs in other Position is a good argument.

No CB we signed is a #1 CB.

No run stuffing DT.

No good complement to Godfrey at Safety.

No Oline signing at all.

FIRE ALL THE GETTELMANS!!

was the playcalling at times bad, yes. but this team lacks serious weapons on the outside compared to playoff teams.

We have no consistant vertical threats in a deep vertical passing O.

Ginn doesn't count b/c he isn't good enough to play much....

Steve Smith was one. He isn't anymore. He is more the crafty old man who schools fools using his experience at this stage. He is loosing steps and that is evident the past 2 years....should lose another this year. He can still play at a high level and be an impact WR....but can't go vertical consistantly

That punk ass in Cleveland is the reason we didn't score like we should have at the beginning of the season. It's crazy how some people here blame the players for his dumb ass play calling and game plans at the start of the season. You're crazy if you don't think we have weapons.

I agree that Chud was an arrogant ass that cost us alot of games early. I get the feeling we will trade back and address WR,DT, and a CB or S early those are all areas that need an upgrade. OG will probably be a cheap vet(definitely need an upgrade, just not a rookie again). But who knows Gettleman could throw us all a curve ball and draft a passrusher early. He was a Giant so that's always possible

Archived