• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jordan says Charlotte Hornets "sounds good"

Zod

Their attendance is still better than what the Hornets was. They are coming out in droves compared to 01 and 02 in Charlotte. LOL. And I see their mayor Kevin Johnson on TV fighting to keep the team in Sacramento. They're not waiting until 15 years later to cry for their team back. All I see is a couple of proud Panther fans on this message board yapping bout name changes and Hornets nostalgia. No one else cares.

I still gotta go to www.bobcats.com to find out about this team.

Their attendance is still better than what the Hornets was. They are coming out in droves compared to 01 and 02 in Charlotte. LOL. And I see their mayor Kevin Johnson on TV fighting to keep the team in Sacramento. They're not waiting until 15 years later to cry for their team back. All I see is a couple of proud Panther fans on this message board yapping bout name changes and Hornets nostalgia. No one else cares.

I still gotta go to www.bobcats.com to find out about this team.

Really, you manage to not do 2 minutes of research again?

Hornets attendance in 01: 15,010 per game

Hornets attendance in 02: 11,286 per game(Team was officially moving)

Kings attendance in 12: 14,508 per game

Kings attendance in 13: 13,749 per game

Not really a huge disparity there. An average of 1,000 per year of those 2 years was the difference. The team still isn't officially moving from Sacramento. The wasn't much anyone could do once George Shinn went nuts. Asking for a new arena only 12 years after the first one was built was completely asinine, and when the city turned it down, they made the right call.

So is this just the way you debate or argue? When proven wrong with facts you just blurt the first thing that comes to you mind and hope that its right? Or do you assume people are just supposed to take your word for it?

FOH, "team officially moving"

It's always an excuse. You guys are just such the victims. LOL. Where were you in 2002 Munch? Were you bringing back the buzz? Where were you in 2003?

The city could've stepped up if it was all about keeping the Hornets in town and tried to block Shinn. It did nothing. They were gonna build their new arena with or without the Hornets. There was no 'Keep the Buzz" movements that I remember. People just stopped going to the games, they stopped caring. Charlotte was EXCiTED about the prospect of a "new" team when it was announced we would be getting another franchise. The Panthers were also gaining steam at that time, so thats another reason people wasnt as interested. No one cried about keeping the Hornets here. Now all this revisionism on message boards aint added up to a hill of beans. 11,000 is DREADFUL!!!

FOH, "team officially moving"

It's always an excuse. You guys are just such the victims. LOL. Where were you in 2002 Munch? Were you bringing back the buzz? Where were you in 2003?

The city could've stepped up if it was all about keeping the Hornets in town and tried to block Shinn. It did nothing. They were gonna build their new arena with or without the Hornets. There was no 'Keep the Buzz" movements that I remember. People just stopped going to the games, they stopped caring. Charlotte was EXCiTED about the prospect of a "new" team when it was announced we would be getting another franchise. The Panthers were also gaining steam at that time, so thats another reason people wasnt as interested. No one cried about keeping the Hornets here. Now all this revisionism on message boards aint added up to a hill of beans. 11,000 is DREADFUL!!!

Where was I in 2002? Going to about 30-35 of our home games. I went to over 30 home games a year since I was around 11(1996) until they moved(family had season tickets). And once again, Shinn had already made up his mind that the team was leaving, anything short of building a new arena would have been a waste of time with him. You can't seem to grasp the concept that the city wanted a divorce from Shinn, not the Hornets. It just turned out that the juice was not worth the squeeze. MJ tried to buy a large stake in the Hornets before they left Charlotte(presumably to keep the team here, given that he later purchased the Bobcats), only to be turned down.

Yes people were excited about the prospect of getting a new team, that was before we knew that Bob Johnson would come with it. Low and behold he ran the organization into the ground, and reportedly sold the team for roughly half of what he paid for the expansion.

You can't seem to grasp the concept that the city wanted a divorce from Shinn, not the Hornets.

Nope, they wanted a divorce from the Hornets. Thats why they didnt fight to keep the team name in the city. All the players they had that kept getting arrested for DUIs, the Bobby Phills tragedy, the fact the team never kept its stars and peaked in 1st rounds turned people off to the team. Not to mention Shinn's rape trial that aired on CourtTV. The Hornets were a stain to Charlotte sports at the time, and we wanted to rid ourselves of the cancer.

It just turned out that the juice was not worth the squeeze. MJ tried to buy a large stake in the Hornets before they left Charlotte(presumably to keep the team here, given that he later purchased the Bobcats), only to be turned down.

As I said, without Bob Johnson, Michael Jordan would not be in ownership. He'd be a GM again at best. That was not the last time either Michael "attempted" to buy his way into ownership in the NBA before he came to the Bobcats.

Yes people were excited about the prospect of getting a new team, that was before we knew that Bob Johnson would come with it. Low and behold he ran the organization into the ground, and reportedly sold the team for roughly half of what he paid for the expansion.

At least your honest. We all wanted Larry Bird, the great hope, and when it was announced Bob Johnson, BET founder was awarded the team it was like all the hot air went out the balloon! How could something like this happen in Dubbya Era America? It was a travesty. The worst thing that ever happened to Charlotte. Carruth who? Bob Johnson was the worst!

When Bob sold the team it was in the playoffs in 2010. The home playoff games sold out VERY QUICKLY. Bob paid for and hired the best coach this team has ever had. Bob paid for and re-signed the best talent we've ever had. He did not "run the organization into the ground". And unlike the Hornets his wish was for the team to remain in Charlotte even after he sold it. The Bobcats never ditched this city like the Hornets did.

I'm trying go stay out of this fight. I just want to echo what others have said about the Hornets in the early 2000s.

That was 100% about an owner that had so disenfranchised a fan base that they were not going to give him one more dime of their money.

It had very little if anything to do with the Hornets franchise itself. Most if the people I knew still loved the Hornets but hated George Shinn.

Didn't really read most of the thread but anyhoo:

I don't get why there's always this ownership v. ownership argument brought up.

Most people either clearly hate the name other think its silly as hell and there's more than just nostalgia driving the return of the Hornets. It doesn't come down to owners from this perspective. If enough people want it done, it will get done. Bottom line.

Wins and all of the important results driven matters are on an entirely different plane.

Its a great line to tout that "wins are the most important" but no sh*t. People still want a name change.

I would also add that if memory serves, the other ownership group was Larry Bird and ML Carr. ML Carr is not Caucasian so I am not sure race was a huge factor.

I love MJ but Larry Bird clearly is a top notch pro team executive. MJ clearly is not.

Man, what could of been.

Also - I have a feeling this will all be coming to an end soon.

Archived