• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mysterious Knocking Sound from inside my house last night

Hotsauce

So about 12:30am my wife wakes me with "did you hear that noise?" (Which if you are a family man, is extra un-nerving). She tells me she heard someone knocking.

I walk the house, room by room with the 12 GA. My wife has our video monitor, and was watching the baby. Then I heard it, BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM! It sounded like someone was beating on drywall from inside the house. I cleared the house, we knew it wasn't the baby, because we could see her. We heard it a few more times too. My dog didnt seem bothered by it, and he is usually goes apeshit when people come to the house. I also checked both AC units, they were not on, and had not been on for some time. We even checked the tied up person in our basement, but they were sleeping.

We have a pretty secure house, in a very secure neighborhood, so I don't think it was someone, plus none of the motion detecor lights came on. I was trying to explain what it was to my wife, so she would calm down and go back to sleep....but I still have no clue what it could be. The only explination I could come up with is we live in a large 30 yr old house...and It may be the pipes...

TL:DR - we heard knocking from inside our house last night....no known reason why

Anyone have a clue what this could be?

1. Not the pipes because "water hammers" don't occur unless the water is flowing

2. If the HVAC returns are blocked, the dampers will flutter and echo through the duct work, but this occurs when the AC shuts off.

3. Water heaters have been known to make a lot of noise but that occurs when the thing is ready to roll over and die... or explode. But, if the temps were cool last nite and the water heater hadn't run for a while, it could have been...

How many Huddlers know where you live?

Archived