• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deangelo Williams Restructures Contract

SCP

Who were the idiots claiming Gettleman was just Hurney 2.0?

Restructuring to keep a 30 yr old RB? Done whatever to keep HIS boy. You guys are right...Hurney would have NEVER done that...

Now that Hurney is gone people act as if he could do nothing...

All Gettlemen has done is gotten rid of Anderson. A move made in large part bc Luke stole Beason's gig....and now has to get on the field.

This is still Hurney's roster in reality. Gettlemen obviously didn't think Hurney built too bad of a team....or simply doesn't have the authority to do that much.

You and FP are right, we still have Poole. The guy I was thinking of was Darrell Green's kid, the WR some were high on. He signed a futures contract with Dallas.

Thanks for helping me reorganize my brain, an oft needed activity.

No problem fellow Panther. I'm just glad that we were able to do it civil w/o all of the immaturity that normally goes on here...

Restructuring to keep a 30 yr old RB? Done whatever to keep HIS boy. You guys are right...Hurney would have NEVER done that...

Now that Hurney is gone people act as if he could do nothing...

All Gettlemen has done is gotten rid of Anderson. A move made in large part bc Luke stole Beason's gig....and now has to get on the field.

This is still Hurney's roster in reality. Gettlemen obviously didn't think Hurney built too bad of a team....or simply doesn't have the authority to do that much.

All he did was cut Anderson? He restructured Ryan Kalil and J Stew's contract, got Gross to take a pay cut, resigned Captain Munneryln and Dwan Edwards at bargain prices. Brought in one of the better nickle backs in the game in DJ Moore. Brought in a mid tier player in MIke Mitchell looking to step up to starting role. Signed Dominik Hixon to give us another target. Helped our return woes with Tedd Ginn JR. He fixed DT in the draft. Now he has restructured DWill

Dave G has ton of sht this offseason with not much money to work with. He has improved this roster drastically.

Now he has restructured DWill

And in the case of DWill, he was able to keep a productive player while cutting out $8 million dollars in potential cap charges.

Yes, we will take a $2 million cap hit in 2016 when the final years void, but it's a safe bet the cap will be significantly higher by that time. Even if it isn't, $2 million is not that hard to make up.

One other thing...I think part of DWill's "demotion" last season was a desire by the coaches and FO to see how Stew did carrying the load, to see if they could safely jettison DWill this year. Once Stew went down and DWill finished the year strong, they may have decided to try to keep him if it could be done at a reasonable price. He's still getting more than he would probably get elsewhere, but it's a lot better deal for us than his old one.

All he did was cut Anderson? He restructured Ryan Kalil and J Stew's contract, got Gross to take a pay cut, resigned Captain Munneryln and Dwan Edwards at bargain prices. Brought in one of the better nickle backs in the game in DJ Moore. Brought in a mid tier player in MIke Mitchell looking to step up to starting role. Signed Dominik Hixon to give us another target. Helped our return woes with Tedd Ginn JR. He fixed DT in the draft. Now he has restructured DWill

Dave G has ton of sht this offseason with not much money to work with. He has improved this roster drastically.

The Anderson cut was the only thing outside of the standard type actions Hurney would take. That was what the statement said.

Restructuring Hurney's guys? Hurney would have done that. Sign castoffs and backups? Hurney did that. Add a draft class? Hurney did that.

Only think Gettlemen has done that sticks out as a non Hurney type move given the situation was cutting Anderson.

Keeping the band together is was Hurney's MO. Gettlemen has pretty much done that...

If Hurney was here, outside of Anderson what else sticks out that wouldn't likely of done

One other thing...I think part of DWill's "demotion" last season was a desire by the coaches and FO to see how Stew did carrying the load, to see if they could safely jettison DWill this year. Once Stew went down and DWill finished the year strong, they may have decided to try to keep him if it could be done at a reasonable price. He's still getting more than he would probably get elsewhere, but it's a lot better deal for us than his old one.

Demotion probably had a lot to do with 2011 and him being the better guy to have on the field.

Tell me what he was wrong about in his post.

I was simply answering Ivan's question asking who the idiots were that think Gettleman is Hurney 2.0. Not making any comment about aforementioned post. I reserve the right to keep my opinion about that opinion to myself.

That is all.

You are dismissed.

The Anderson cut was the only thing outside of the standard type actions Hurney would take. That was what the statement said.

Restructuring Hurney's guys? Hurney would have done that. Sign castoffs and backups? Hurney did that. Add a draft class? Hurney did that.

Only think Gettlemen has done that sticks out as a non Hurney type move given the situation was cutting Anderson.

Keeping the band together is was Hurney's MO. Gettlemen has pretty much done that...

If Hurney was here, outside of Anderson what else sticks out that wouldn't likely of done

Hurney would have just pushed cap hits into the future.  Gettleman saved us money now (except in Jstew's case, and the difference is minimal) AND the future.

Obviously every GM does that.

You're minimizing the great work Gettleman has done with the cards he was dealt.  Was he able to go splurge on some overpriced FA?  No.  Would he have if he had $10mil to start with instead of -$15mil?  Maybe, and it would have been done better than when Hurney splurged and brought in guys that amounted to scrubs for the most part.  Hurney did some good things for us, but watching Gettleman work is like finally seeing the Louvre after going your whole life only seeing your kids' fingerpaintings.

Archived