• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

AMC's Breaking Bad vs HBO's The Wire

Dex

I will expand on this topic tomorrow right now I'm really tired and don't feel like writing a lot so I'll keep it simple. I have a friend who is a Breaking Bad addict and would not shut up about it to me. He knows I'm a huge fan of The Wire (although he's never seen it) he's heard people draw comparisons to it and BB. The way both shows never truly have a good guy and the lines between good and evil are awful grey. Topics likes politics, morality, crime, loyalty, love etc. all come into play. So I gave in finally and started to watch it on Netflix a few weeks ago. I just finished Season 4 tonight and don't get me wrong the show is phenomenal. The writing, acting, direction, cinematogaphy etc etc all is top notch and I really do enjoy the show.

However....

The friend I brought up (again never saw The Wire) maintains his stance on BB being the best show ever made. Not the best show he's ever seen but the best show ever made.

Now you can call it bias, homerism blah blah blah whatever but no show has ever gotten to me emotionally and actually affected me on the level that The Wire did. How can someone just choose to ignore a something based purely off thinking something else is the best? The world we live in I suppose. 

Now I'm only 22 and didn't have the privilege of following the show since it's inception in 2001 to 2008 due to my age. However fate had it one Christmas eve my cousin gave me season one of The Wire. I let it sit in my room for damn near a year then finally gave it a shot. It started off slow and wasn't flashy but anyone that has seen it in it's entirety will tell you it changed or got to them somehow. I just believe that The Wire is television nirvana there is a Harvard class on the show for fugs sake... They shouldn't even be compared.

Before I saw The Wire I would have told you the best show I had seen to that point was Sons of Anarchy. Shake my fuging head. Anyway I'm rambling. Thoughts? Jokes? Direct Attacks? I don't give a fug.

tumblr_lryvxycR8D1qbvaudo1_250.gif

I'm one of the obnoxious lovers of the Wire. It's still #1 for me, but Breaking Bad is gaining steam and has the chance to have a better ending (not better show, just better ending) IMO. 

I'll now go have a wet dream of Walt and Omar somehow going into business together 

What made The Wire so great though was it wasn't served up on a plate just how we like it. Better ending? Eh It wouldn't be The Wire with a "better ending". It also didn't attract the audience BB currently has unfortunately. Another leg up BB has. They need to re run them like they did with The Soprano's. America deserves it.

i haven't seen the wire. i just finished watching BB season four on netflix and i don't have cable so i can't keep up with the current season... so i'll have to watch the wire.

the first 8 episodes of season 5 are on netflix. Watching them literally as we speak. 

i haven't seen the wire. i just finished watching BB season four on netflix and i don't have cable so i can't keep up with the current season... so i'll have to watch the wire.

You I know will appreciate the subtly of The Wire. 

Archived