• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

shula responds to criticism

nosuchthingasapanther

The Panthers coaches, like the old and annoying song 'I'm Henry the VIII I am'

Net, 'second verse same as the first.'

It is always what the other team did, its always what we need to do better.

At this point, just shut up and produce.

it kinda is what the other team did....

what are they supposed to say?

So to sum up, a lot of people were concerned that based on his history, Shula was not the best hire out there, and would be too conservative.  I'm included in that number, for what it's worth.  And since the hire, our concerns were more or less shouted down by those that know better, who insisted that he's learned a lot, continuity would be good, he's never had a QB like Cam, this time it would be different, etc...

In the pre-season, we did virtually nothing on offense.  And the concerns were raised again.  And they were shouted down again, with lots of statements about how we weren't going to give anything away, that our playbook was being kept under wraps.

So now we've played a game.  It was very conservative on offense.  The plays looked a lot like what we saw in the pre-season.  And we eked out a grand total of 7 points, somehow limiting our previously prolific QB to 125 yards passing.

I dunno, smells like execution problems to me.  Good thing that all of those people who know better are here to tell me how great a game Shula actually called, or I might think he was too conservative or something...

Why don't you stop with furthering your already determined agenda and start with some facts.

In the preseason we could not run the ball and looked the same in game 1.  

Fact: In the first game we ran the ball very well averaging almost 5 yards a carry.

We were conservative on offense due to playcalling and Shula was the reason.

Fact:  Cam admitted that Shula called for deep passes and he was the one that didn't throw it deep.  Cam was too conservative not Shula.

We called the same plays in the preseason as we did in the regular season.

Fact:  In the preseason we ran primarily to the inside and during  the game we ran almost exclusively off tackle or to the outside with much better results.  Cam completed almost 70% of his passes and had a QBR rating of 97. In the preseason he completed 50% and had a passer rating of 65.

Good thing we only scored only 7 points or the bitchers and whiners would have absolutely no leg to stand on. 

Why don't you stop with furthering your already determined agenda and start with some facts.

In the preseason we could not run the ball and looked the same in game 1.

Fact: In the first game we ran the ball very well averaging almost 5 yards a carry.

We were conservative on offense due to playcalling and Shula was the reason.

Fact: Cam admitted that Shula called for deep passes and he was the one that didn't throw it deep. Cam was too conservative not Shula.

We called the same plays in the preseason as we did in the regular season.

Fact: In the preseason we ran primarily to the inside and during the game we ran almost exclusively off tackle or to the outside with much better results. Cam completed almost 70% of his passes and had a QBR rating of 97. In the preseason he completed 50% and had a passer rating of 65.

Good thing we only scored only 7 points or the bitchers and whiners would have absolutely no leg to stand on.

Fact: Cam isn't going to blame Shula for being conservative, he already caught flak for subliminally blaming Chud last year. FACT: Ron Rivera HIMSELF said the passing attack was too conservative, which is pretty much putting it on Shula.

Fact: Cam isn't going to blame Shula for being conservative, he already caught flak for subliminally blaming Chud last year. FACT: Ron Rivera HIMSELF said the passing attack was too conservative, which is pretty much putting it on Shula.

He said the passing attack was too conservative....

That doesn't mean the play calls were....

Which is why he specifically mentioned his QB's decisions and also the fact that pass protection broke down forcing his QB out of some of those throws....

More to it than a playcall....even if Seattle had a defense called that allowed it....which wasnt often you still have a lot of other moving parts to attack downfield in a game where there weren't lots of chances

Wrong on both counts.  If it had been Shula's fault Cam did not have to take the blame or say anything.  Did he take the blame for Chud ever??  And Rivers said we were too conservative.  If you paid attention at all you would know that  Rivera never blames player and always uses we. He said we fumbled on that last drive, he said we made a mistake on the botched punt. He doesn't call out players.  Did either of those "we" comments have anything to do with Shula.  Same with being conservative. It is pretty amazing how far some of  you will go to blame the coaches.

Wrong on both counts.  If it had been Shula's fault Cam did not have to take the blame or say anything.  Did he take the blame for Chud ever??  And Rivers said we were too conservative.  If yo paid attention at all you would know that  Rivera never blames player and always use we. He said we fumbled on that last drive, he said we made a mistake on the botched punt. He doesn't call out players.  Did either of those "we" coments have anything to do with Shula.  Same with being conservative. It is pretty amazing how far some of  you will go to blame the coaches.

Rivera on being conservative, from an NFL.com post Rayzor linked earlier:

It's a grim statistic, and one day later, Panthers coach Ron Rivera was asked a question that had an obvious answer: Is Carolina's approach too conservative?

"Yes it is," Rivera replied at a news conference Monday. "In the inverse, there were a few that were dropped that would have been longer. So there are some things that need to be looked at on both sides in terms of getting the ball vertical.

Rivera IS blaming the coaches in part... Obviously he's not going to throw anyone under the bus, but it's pretty clear that the offense was playing very conservative against the Seahawks.  That is undeniable.

You may argue that was the right way to play, though, as many are doing, but Rivera seems to think we may have been too conservative, in addition to not making the plays.

Rivera on being conservative, from an NFL.com post Rayzor linked earlier:

Rivera IS blaming the coaches in part... Obviously he's not going to throw anyone under the bus, but it's pretty clear that the offense was playing very conservative against the Seahawks. That is undeniable.

You may argue that was the right way to play, though, as many are doing, but Rivera seems to think we may have been too conservative, in addition to not making the plays.

You left out the parts of his quotes where he addressed how Cam didn't make the throws....and why he didn't. The reasons he didn't make those throws....is what he wants to look at and get fixed.

Wasnt as simple as Shula not calling an aggressive route in his playcalling. We didn't excute them....that made our pass game conservative

Yeah. If I recall correctly he was asked specifically if he thought the passing game was too conservative and he for say yes he did.

But it seemed more of a throw away line as he spent the next several sentences throwing out caveats about why we didn't get more opportunities.

He talked about reads and progressions, the defense taking that away, and Cam scrambling on a play where they may have had a shot.

To me it didn't sound like a guy when was upset with the play calling as much as he was disappointed we didn't get more opportunities.

That is how I took it anyway.

I disagree, Tee, he also remarked we need to throw the ball more, and get the balance back on offense.

I think it's clear watching the game we missed opportunities, but even Rivera can see that we're going to need more explosive plays than what we got in order to win, and that, in Rivera's words, "So there are some things that need to be looked at on both sides in terms of getting the ball vertical."  It's more than just the players.

Yea we made a lot of mistakes but so did Seattle. They still came up on top and they should have had more. I have no faith in Shula personally and think him and Rivera here is just a bunch of crap. But, I'll still sit and wait to be wrong, st least the defense will be amazing this year.

I disagree, Tee, he also remarked we need to throw the ball more, and get the balance back on offense.

I think it's clear watching the game we missed opportunities, but even Rivera can see that we're going to need more explosive plays than what we got in order to win, and that, in Rivera's words, "So there are some things that need to be looked at on both sides in terms of getting the ball vertical."  It's more than just the players.

Yeah it is gameplanning by the coaches to beat Buffalo that is what they are going to be doing. Going back and changing things because of the Seattle game- not at all.  No one but the huddle posters are so focused on last Sunday.  Players and coaches are looking ahead.  They are going to be looking at the gameplan and practicing more vertical plays in practice so Cam feels more comfortable and will be more likely to pull the trigger.  They are looking at what Buffalo did against New England to anticipate what they will do against us defensively.  That is more than the players but not in the sense you suggest.   

Archived