• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Begin Head Coach Search?

carp24000

Alright kiddies, sit around, I will now explain to you what's going on, or at least give you the two most likely options and flesh them out.

Gettleman chose not to fire Rivera, probably at the suggestion of Ernie Accorsi who was shadowing the franchise last year and getting a feel for everything. Every single Charlotte Observer article by Joe Person (the most company of men) went out of its way to mention how Rivera has "learned his lessons" as a head coach, or has "matured" as a head coach, or is now better at managing things from a HC position. It was very obvious.

The Panthers are very good at controlling the local narrative, and it's pretty clear to me what they wanted to get out there. Gettleman thinks Rivera is a good coach who just needed to get out of his own way. I think most of us would agree that over his first 2 years and change, Rivera is about one decision a game away from being a pretty good coach. It's just that whenever the moment comes, he fugs it up. Every. Single. Time. 

First two games of the season? the moment came in both. He fuged it up both times. He's learned nothing. He only went for it on fourth down last week because he thought it was first. He doesn't understand risk and leverage, to say nothing of other things, but I want to keep this relatively short.

YOUR TWO OPTIONS FOR WHAT THIS MEANS

A.) This legit leaked and they're getting their ducks in a row. Doesn't make any sense at all. If they were talking to a candidate, or had someone in mind, it'd have to be someone who is currently unemployed. 

B.) They're trying to light a fire under his ass. 

Actually, after typing this I have no fuging idea. This is weird. 

• Pie 1

I think he's right to be doing it.

Having it known to the public though? Not really a good thing.

He'll need to 'defend' it to Rivera, who I honestly think will understand that it's just business.

The people more likely to be angered by it though? The players. Rivera is very well liked in the locker room. And although they too may understand it's "just business", I'd still expect some will take offense to the news.

No, Gettleman doesn't have to apologize for doing his job. But he doesn't want anything distracting the team, so he'll want to smooth this over.

I see no distraction..Rivera already knows he's on the hot seat this season..just win..that's all he has to do..nothing else matters

He can't deny it. That's tantamount to the dreaded vote of confidence.

He can't ignore it. He'll look weak.

He has to own it. If the Panthers lose today, Rivera has to go. If he doesn't, he has to keep making leaks. He has to be the motherfuger

• Pie 1

I see no distraction..Rivera already knows he's on the hot seat this season..just win..that's all he has to do..nothing else matters

does he know that? Like, would you say for 100% certain Rivera is that self aware?

Because I'm not sure. 

• Pie 2

No they haven't. Gettleman is a real GM. This is his way of sending a message to the coaches and players.

"Win. Now. Or I am gonna fug poo up."

Gettlemen has never been a GM before....

He is an old rookie GM.

The same week they trade away a veteran presence his FO leaks this? On our way to a HUGE road game? Sounds dumb to me...

1 candidate knows....they can't reach out to nfl coaches during the season right? Meaning someone outside the nfl has been notified. Any predictions?

I took it as he knows the Panthers are doing background checks on him, not that they have contacted him.

Therefore he could currently be coaching in some capacity in he NFL.

Maybe this is being leaked to keep the fire lit under Rivera... a story was circulated that Rivera would be fired if we lost to the Giants and guess what, the team responded and hammered the Giants 38-0. These players care about coach Rivera and will fight for him, so maybe Gettleman wants to keep the gun to Rivera's head to get the most out of this team? 

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if they were lining up candidates... yes we hammered the Giants but the Giants are a crap team, Gettleman may have already seen enough and decided to move on. 

• Pie 1

It has the potential to be.

As an example, you're trying to negotiate an extension with Greg Hardy. Hardy, who likes Rivera, hears that you're looking into replacing him. That news may then become a factor for his decision making. Ditto other players who like Rivera (and remember we have a lot of one year contracts on this team). As you get later in the season, guys start thinking about next year anyway, especially if they're gonna be free agents.

Naturally I hope it doesn't become a distraction, but it most definitely could be.