• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Billick: Don't Mess with Steve Smith

Captroop

Not Worth Talking Smack to Steve Smith 

Brian Billick basically says that Steve Smith is the best in the game in getting in the heads of DBs, and if you start a verbal war with him, he's gonna knock you off your game, and not the other way around. He will get under your skin, he will make you miss, and he can antagonize you in a way that won't get him ejected but will probably encourage you to do something that gets you thrown out.

The question he poses is why coaches are still not discouraging, and in some cases are encouraging their players to try to talk smack with Smitty. Because just as we did against the Rams, we see the result.

Honestly, if I'm a coach in the NFL, I'm telling my DBs to keep their mouth shut around 89. There is no way that ends well for you.

*Edit* Fixed Video Link

i agree. it's just a bad idea. he's tougher than anyone. he thrives on that kind of thing. it feeds him like no one else. you talk trash to him and you've already lost because you've given him what he wanted you to give him

disrespect is his fuel. it's like spinach to popeye.

will it catch up with him? maybe, but i think he retires before it becomes much of an issue.

Richard Sherman said that Larry Fitzgerald got him off his game by being nice to him and telling him how good he is. Since Steve always has a chip on his shoulder, you would think one would try to do the same to him. Maybe kiss his ass, in a football players mind that would be a little bit of a shocker.

I just want to point out that Brian Billick is no where to be found in that video and it has nothing to do with not messing with Steve Smith.

Well shoot, you're right. It defaults to the first video on the channels page. Will see if I can edit.

Eventually as in when he retires. : /

not really, he has been on the edge in lots of games this year.....that line between him getting penalties and not is very fine.  Keep pushing him and he will give opponents something.    Is what it is....

You only have to go back to 2012 to find the last example of his buttons being pushed and impacting him/us

Archived