• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Surprising statistic

Strawman

From Pro-football Focus.

"Carolina Panthers: When opponents have run between the guards, the Panthers have given up 266 yards on 44 attempts. That is a 6.0 yards per carry average which is the worst in the league. However when running outside of the tackles, they have allowed 94 yards on 47 carries for a 2.0 yards per carry average which is the best in the league."

i don't have access to pff (cause i'm not going to pay $30 to just look at a few numbers others can get for me), but i just looked up pro footbal reference and saw their break downs of where the ball went in these games and from their stats there were 61 carries up the middle this year for 267 yards (and they break it up LE-LT-LG-M-RG-RT-RE). that's only 4.3ypa, which isn't bad.

here's how they had it broken down going down the middle:

seattle: 6-43 (2-29 in 4th)

bills: 11-40

giants: 7-47 (2-30 in 4th)

cards: 14-45

vikes: 9-56 (1-31 in 3rd)

rams: 10-24

bucs: 4-12

those numbers in parentheses are very skewing...5 carries/90 yards. i know you can't take those numbers out, but if you did...that would be 56 runs up the middle for 177 yards, 3.16ypa.

if you go by pff's numbers, it's likely that those 5 big runs were part of their 44 carries up the middle. if that is the case, and you took out those 5 big runs that leaves you with 4.51 ypa, which still isn't bad.

if anyone who actually does have access to pff's data (fieryprophet, i'm looking at you) can take a look at the personnel on the field for those 5 big runs, i think you might find the reason...well, at least a reason.

here's where those 5 runs happened.

seattle: turbin for 15 yards at 11:05 in 4th

seattle: lynch for 14 yards at 2:14 in 4th

giants: wilson for 12 yards at 12:51 in 4th

giants: wilson for 18 yards at 3:55 in 4th

vikings: peterson for 31 at 6:10 in 3rd

i don't have access to pff (cause i'm not going to pay $30 to just look at a few numbers others can get for me), but i just looked up pro footbal reference and saw their break downs of where the ball went in these games and from their stats there were 61 carries up the middle this year for 267 yards (and they break it up LE-LT-LG-M-RG-RT-RE). that's only 4.3ypa, which isn't bad.

here's how they had it broken down going down the middle:

seattle: 6-43 (2-29 in 4th)

bills: 11-40

giants: 7-47 (2-30 in 4th)

cards: 14-45

vikes: 9-56 (1-31 in 3rd)

rams: 10-24

bucs: 4-12

those numbers in parentheses are very skewing...5 carries/90 yards. i know you can't take those numbers out, but if you did...that would be 56 runs up the middle for 177 yards, 3.16ypa.

if you go by pff's numbers, it's likely that those 5 big runs were part of their 44 carries up the middle. if that is the case, and you took out those 5 big runs that leaves you with 4.51 ypa, which still isn't bad.

if anyone who actually does have access to pff's data (fieryprophet, i'm looking at you) can take a look at the personnel on the field for those 5 big runs, i think you might find the reason...well, at least a reason.

here's where those 5 runs happened.

seattle: turbin for 15 yards at 11:05 in 4th

seattle: lynch for 14 yards at 2:14 in 4th

giants: wilson for 12 yards at 12:51 in 4th

giants: wilson for 18 yards at 3:55 in 4th

vikings: peterson for 31 at 6:10 in 3rd

I thought the same a thing, but here's the problem. How do those few big runs, none of that great of consequence make for a worst in league average?

I thought the same a thing, but here's the problem. How do those few big runs, none of that great of consequence make for a worst in league average?

not sure what the question is, but those few big runs skews the average in a big way to such a degree that it makes it look really bad.

here's another thing to consider, we aren't getting run on up the middle as much as other teams are. in fact we arent getting run on much at all. we have been run on a total of 151 times this year...which is the least for any team in the league. the average is 199.6 and the most is 270 times (jags).

when you have that small a sample and you have some outliers like those five runs, it's going to make things look worse than they actually are.

the big picture is that teams are only getting 3.7ypa (only 4 teams giving up less per attempt), 79.3 rushing yards per game (only the jets give up less), and just 2 rushing TDs (only the ravens have given up less).

Archived