• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Godfrey has no place on team next year....

Who Said What?

With the emergence of Mike Mitchell, Robert Lester,  and Quentin Mikell we do not have need for Godfrey and here are the reasons.

1.  At this point in time, there is zero justification for his contract.

2.  Mitchell has blown one obvious assignment this season.  That was the play over the top to Brian Quick in the St. Louis game.  I only list this because the corner kept motioning that he was expecting help over the top.

3.  Lester has made all of the pass plays designed to go right at him this year ala the first pass of the Cardinals game.

4.  MIkell has played exceptional and helped bottle up two great TEs.

5.  You can count on your hand the number of deep completions this entire year.  Now think about the times you remember Godfrey being out of position and see if you can keep it under ten fingers.

6.  Mcdermott talked about how complicated his scheme was and how he hasn't had to scale it back this year with this defense. 

I believe like alot of Hurney's deals, we overpaid for Godfrey and he has not earned his contract.  Most importantly, our defensive resurgence has happened without him and the mistakes are just not there like they were with him on the field.

I dont agree with the blown coverage, that was Thomas' guy.  How do you know that Mitchell wasn't supposed to be playing a robber role instead of playing over top?  Thomas had the over the top coverage and it was obvious from the very beginning of the play.

I was reaching to find that one.  I really just put that in there for the expected Godfrey apologists people that would be all Mitchell hasn't played perfect.  It is totally believable that Thomas just got beat.  He was inactive the next game.

Godfrey also is scheduled to earn a $5 million option bonus in 2012 when his base salary will be $700,000. His base salary starts to climb significantly in 2013 when it goes to $1.6 million. But the real jump comes after that. 

In 2014 and 2015, Godfrey will have a $5 million base salary for each season. In 2016, his salary rises to $5.5 million. The deal also includes a $100,000 workout bonus for each year, starting in 2012. 

Godfrey will be asked to renegotiate his contract or will be shown the door.  IMHO.  No way he makes a base salary of 5 million next year.

Archived