• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network All over the Panthers

Eisen asks: "Will the Panthers win their division?"

Irvin: "I say if Newton plays the Saints twice, they'll win their division. Cam looked like a man-child to me. If that Cam Newton shows up, no question they win the division."

Faulk: I don't think so. Saints have Graham, Sproles, it's too much. If you can have two guys work the inside on the LB and Safeties the LB will bite so hard, even though Kuechly is the best in the league. They pose problems on offense and defense - the Patriots have holes the Saints do not.

Mooch: I don't think they can or will win the division. I like where they're headed and I like Cam & Riverboat Ron (looks at film of Cam making a great couple throws down the seams, mentions Cam is the best in the league on 3rd down). Says they've made a passer out of Cam. Shows Cam using the legs and making a few jaw-dropping throws. HOWEVER, Saints and Panthers likely split and Panthers get tie-breaker due to conference record.

Warner: I like what Carolina is doing. It's what I call a "sneaky-defense". Looks like you can attack them here or there then they show up and beat you on Sunday. I think both teams finish 12-4 and tie and its unfortunate, Carolina loses fourth tiebreaker with the same record.

Eisen: But the caveat is the Panthers get to travel to the NFC East winner in the playoffs, that might even be better than winning the division.

Sapp:No they won't win division unless they sweep saints. Too much to ask for a young football team. They haven't had a winning reacord yet, lets let them get in the playoffs and see what they can do.

Irvin: People don't want to give the Panthers that love.... but they beat the Patriots.

Eisen:I think they are the real deal... if I had a say I might even throw my hat in the ring that they win the division, but Irvin is the rare lone wolf in saying they can win the division.... but I like them a lot.

Irvin: something about the Saints just being a big play offense?

--its just nice to have a few good minutes devoted to us.

Just to reiterate this: If we both finish 12-4 and it's because we lose to the Saints once and the Saints lose to us once and the Seahawks, the Saints will win the tiebreaker due to NFC conference record. In all likelihood, we need to sweep the Saints and run the table. Tough, but possible.

Actually if we sweep the saints we can drop one, two if they lose to Seattle

Newton feature on ESPN NFL Countdown (11:00 AM Sunday Morning):

*Headline reads 'Newton's Maturation'

Turnover marginof +10 is best in the league over the course of our win streak.

49.3% third down conversions converted, 2nd in NFL.

-They go live to Bob Holtzman in Miami. LaFell says "Newton has stopped lookign for highlight every play". He's throwing substantially shorter passes. The first month of the season his yards per throw were the longest the leauge. During the streak its gotten shorter. He's one of the smartest passers in the league.

Berman: CAM NEWTON! Sometimes it just takes time!

Jaws: He's a flowering QB. He's in full bloom now. (Goes to video of Newton reading a rush lane in man to man coverage. Then goes to the laser throw to Olsen after making a great read on that TD. These are the kinds of plays Cam is making more consistently.

Tom Jackson: Much more patient in the pocket even though he might be the best athlete to ever play the position. When they win games it's all about "We". When they lose games it's all about "I".

Cris Carter: No greater influence then Mike Shula. First time as an offensive coordinator. Defense really helps things.

nothing much here... I really liked the coverage on NFL network better. as usual.

Faulk also said that 10.2 points differential thru 10 games is the best since Pitt "Steel Curtain" and Sapp's Tampa team.

Brandt on Sirius... The last team that allowed only 1 1st half TD thru 10 games was the 1935 Giants.

This with now 5 rookies ( and possibly a 6th today with Horton) playing meaningful minutes.

Archived