• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers heavily picked to lose by NFL "experts"

cardiackat88.

Just like SF and NE, we have no chance. Might as well play DA and just save Cam for the games we actually have a shot. No since in him getting hurt for a lost cause.

I love the hate. Keep doubting us. Keep setting them up, we will keep knocking em down.

I doubt either team is taking this game that way.  It would be great for the Panthers if they win, but I would say this is a "must win" if the Saints realistically want a shot at the 2 seed.  I don't see us losing at home and then going into Carolina and winning.  I'm thinking this will be a very physical game and who knows who will win.  The good news is that Carloina, Seattle, and New Orleans are all headed to the playoffs this year so it's going to be fun to watch how it all plays out.

I haven't watched many other games this year except the Saints.  Are the Panthers playing a smash-mouth running offense with a stiff defense or have they opened up the passing offense more this year? 

Only one guy chose them to win, oddly enough, it's by the guy with the best season record...

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000292869/article/picking-winners-for-week-14-nfl-games

I don't have the link but here is the main part of an ESPN .piece.

Quote:
Upset Watch: Carolina (+3.5) at New Orleans Shocking as it may sound, it is in fact possible for New Orleans to lose a game at home. In fact, the Saints lost four of them at the Superdome last year. Sean Payton hasn't lost a home game as head coach since 2010, but in the 2009 and 2010 regular seasons, the Saints were actually better on the road (13-3) than at home (11-5).

And so the Panthers may be able to make up the Saints' big home-field advantage by virtue of being the better team this year. Football Outsiders overall ratings have the Panthers third and the Saints fourth, but the gap between the two is nearly 10 percentage points, larger than the gap between the Saints and the team ranked 10th. Although both teams are in the top eight among NFL offenses, the Panthers have been significantly better on defense this season.

I doubt either team is taking this game that way. It would be great for the Panthers if they win, but I would say this is a "must win" if the Saints realistically want a shot at the 2 seed. I don't see us losing at home and then going into Carolina and winning. I'm thinking this will be a very physical game and who knows who will win. The good news is that Carloina, Seattle, and New Orleans are all headed to the playoffs this year so it's going to be fun to watch how it all plays out.

I haven't watched many other games this year except the Saints. Are the Panthers playing a smash-mouth running offense with a stiff defense or have they opened up the passing offense more this year?

The "smash mouth" running offense is a misnomer that people come to when they read the stat sheet instead of watch the games. Truth is our running game isn't as good as the stats suggest and the passing game isn't as bad as stats suggest.

When a QB gets sacked the lost yardage is subtracted from the passing game, and when Cam scrambles on passing plays for positive yards it is added to the rushing totals. So a lot of our rushing totals have come from.called passes that have been Cam scrambling. Also when he doesn't escape it is subtracted from pass yardage.

So we in reality probably call more pass plays than run plays.

The other thing is we have been more methodical than explosive. The result is we have owned TOP and have had long sustained drives. The result is having the fewest offensive possessions in the entire NFL. Which means our total offensive stats may be underwhelming, but we are near the top in almost all efficiency stats.

Also, even though we have arguably played a tougher slate of offensive teams than the Seahawks has, we rank above Seattle's defense in the following stats:

Yards allowed per drive

Points allowed per drive (#1 in NFL)

Turnovers forced per drive (#1 in NFL)

INTs per drive

Fumbles forced per drive

Snaps per drive

Defensive TOP per drive (lower the better)

TDs allowed per drive (#1 in NFL)

TD/FG ratio (#1 in NFL)

Points in red zone per drive (#1 in NFL)

TDs per red zone visit (#1 in the NFL)

So you could make the argument that our defense is better than Seattle's at this point.  Our strength is clearly our front 7, but our secondary has been severely underrated all season.  Outside of one bad game against Miami they have been pretty darn good.  Some QBs have had pretty good completion percentages against us, but that is usually because they are being forced to take underneath stuff, and our back end have been exceptional at tackling with the sole exception of the New England game.

The "smash mouth" running offense is a misnomer that people come to when they read the stat sheet instead of watch the games. Truth is our running game isn't as good as the stats suggest and the passing game isn't as bad as stats suggest.

When a QB gets sacked the lost yardage is subtracted from the passing game, and when Cam scrambles on passing plays for positive yards it is added to the rushing totals. So a lot of our rushing totals have come from.called passes that have been Cam scrambling. Also when he doesn't escape it is subtracted from pass yardage.

So we in reality probably call more pass plays than run plays.

The other thing is we have been more methodical than explosive. The result is we have owned TOP and have had long sustained drives. The result is having the fewest offensive possessions in the entire NFL. Which means our total offensive stats may be underwhelming, but we are near the top in almost all efficiency stats.

I have a feeling we are going to start being more explosive as the regular season comes to a close. That offense is learning what it takes to win and then some but soon I think they are going to try and dominate. It's about time for Cam to start dropping bombs again.

Only one guy chose them to win, oddly enough, it's by the guy with the best season record...

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000292869/article/picking-winners-for-week-14-nfl-games

GOOD! Just the way we like it. Even more bulletin board material.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived