• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will these last three games make Newton a bunch of money?

PantherAZ

Random thought. There's been a lot of Cam doubters the past couple years due to The Panthers not winning. I (and others) have basically given him a free pass believing he didn't have the talent around him to win. Obviously the team has shown over the past month that they can win. I think these last three games is Cam's opportunity to show that he can be the leader and franchise QB the team needs to get to that next level. Can he rally the troops and close out the season strong? I believe he can and will. However, my question is this... If the team drops some bad games, loses winnable games, or doesn't put them in a position to be successful in the playoffs, does this impact Cam's next contract? Is the blame placed on him? Or is Cam already set as our future QB regardless of the end to this season. Here's to a 3-0 finish and a playoff run, but just wanted to get some thoughts.

Cam simply has not earned a gigantic contract.  If he can get us playoff win, or at least look good while taking us to the brink of a Super Bowl, then maybe G-man (and J-Rich) make it rain. Certainly, if he wins it. Otherwise, he has earned a  middling to good contract, that equates to 10-15 mil per year, depending on the market value. He did have some fairly impressive years, but is too inconsistent to break the bank on in my opinion. A good (or bad) showing in the next three games probably won't be overly weighed either way. 

Cam simply has not earned a gigantic contract.  If he can get us playoff win, or at least look good while taking us to the brink of a Super Bowl, then maybe G-man (and J-Rich) make it rain. Certainly, if he wins it. Otherwise, he has earned a  middling to good contract, that equates to 10-15 mil per year, depending on the market value. He did have some fairly impressive years, but is too inconsistent to break the bank on in my opinion. A good (or bad) showing in the next three games probably won't be overly weighed either way. 

Let me say that I am no fan of crippling a franchise for one player.  Dumb teams do that, shitty organizations do that, and GM's with short careers do that. 

Now with Cam, there is no choice but to make an offer that you feel is low and then let them do the dance and gradually bring up the number till both parties feel that they won. 

This can not be a Hurney contract where you throw 120 at him and grin like a jackass eating briars.  We know we need him, he knows we need him and there is going to be a hefty price to pay for that mutual acknowledgement.

Sadly, it's not about how much a player is worth, it's about his potential and how much other teams will throw his way on the free market.  All I know is a team there are quite a few teams, Texans, Minnesota, Raiders, Jets especially who would  break the bank for Cam, which is what we're up against, and what we'll have to pay for. 

Random thought. There's been a lot of Cam doubters the past couple years due to The Panthers not winning. I (and others) have basically given him a free pass believing he didn't have the talent around him to win. Obviously the team has shown over the past month that they can win. I think these last three games is Cam's opportunity to show that he can be the leader and franchise QB the team needs to get to that next level. Can he rally the troops and close out the season strong? I believe he can and will. However, my question is this... If the team drops some bad games, loses winnable games, or doesn't put them in a position to be successful in the playoffs, does this impact Cam's next contract? Is the blame placed on him? Or is Cam already set as our future QB regardless of the end to this season. Here's to a 3-0 finish and a playoff run, but just wanted to get some thoughts.

FYI, Luck is playing as well as Cam played last season. His team made it into the play-offs on 8-5 record and a game he lost, says how weak that AFC Division seriously is, yet last season the media was all but ready to bench Cam for the Panthers 7-9 record and he was in some supposed Sophmore Slum. RG III season is over on every level, and like Luck, doesn't have the Sophmore Slum label on him. Yet, Cam has taken this very disfunctional team on his back and played his heart out, but some of you still sit there with this BS of what Cam needs to do to be seen as a label that is already handed to Luck and RG despite their playing abilities.

I ask the question again, why does Cam have to keep proving his worth while selfish and ego driven people keep determining what they believe will make him obtain these false labels, like Franchise QB and Elite?

Archived