• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much can be saved if Godfrey is cut this off-season?

Pox 08

smh pretty sure GM will work this out, i don't see this being that much of a problem he will most likely restructure it would be dumb not to coming of a Achilles injury. I'd much rather have a healthy Godfrey and Mitchell then Mitchell and Mikel, Mikel was solid but didn't make alot of plays in the passing game, Lester is the guy i'm looking at going forward they choose to cut Godfrey

smh pretty sure GM will work this out, i don't see this being that much of a problem he will most likely restructure it would be dumb not to coming of a Achilles injury. I'd much rather have a healthy Godfrey and Mitchell then Mitchell and Mikel, Mikel was solid but didn't make alot of plays in the passing game, Lester is the guy i'm looking at going forward they choose to cut Godfrey

Godftey can't play. We have seen this year after year

Much rather have have someone like Mikell. Sure he isn't a super stud but you will rarely notice him bc he rarely messes up glaringly.

Much rather have have someone like Mikell. Sure he isn't a super stud but you will rarely notice him bc he rarely messes up glaringly.

Preach.

Godfrey used to be a glaring weakness in our secondary that was overlooked because he made one noticeable play every 3 games.

Plus, his post tackle or pass breakup celebrations really grind my gears.

Honestly nobody thinks about it, but what if we offer him a nice team friendly restructure and he takes it?  Godfrey isn't exactly a super impactful safety, but he's not bad either.  He's a good tackler, hits hard, he can play the ball in the air (not at an elite level though) and I can't think of a time he completely screwed up on a play.

The reason he got that contract is because he's a coachs player.  He plays his assignment and does it well but seems to lack intangibles to become a stud in the league.  I actually think him and Mitchell would be a great combo.  Both can hit, both can cover, Mitchell is the undisciplined playmaker while Godfrey is the safety net.

I expect Godfrey to be cut.  His cap number is huge and they need that cap space to re-sign other players.  I'd be surprised if Mikell was back considering his age and with Robert Lester showing promise.  Mitchell has some leadership qualities and seems like he wants to stay a Panther.  Maybe he'd come at a reasonable price because after years in Oakland, playing on a good team for less money might be worth it.  Nobody likes to lose!

I don't know what godfrey your watching.........or what mikell.

Godfrey was solid and there was a reason he was on the roster every season, you guys over-exaggerate......... the guy was solid and better then most give credit for, i went back and watch games from 2011 and 12 it was the usually suspect who would uber fug up a play sherrod martin and nakamura. Mikell has been beat several times this season or hasn't provided over the top help,unless that was the coverage this has happen several times this season. Mikell is good against the run not very much against the pass

Honestly nobody thinks about it, but what if we offer him a nice team friendly restructure and he takes it?  Godfrey isn't exactly a super impactful safety, but he's not bad either.  He's a good tackler, hits hard, he can play the ball in the air (not at an elite level though) and I can't think of a time he completely screwed up on a play.

The reason he got that contract is because he's a coachs player.  He plays his assignment and does it well but seems to lack intangibles to become a stud in the league.  I actually think him and Mitchell would be a great combo.  Both can hit, both can cover, Mitchell is the undisciplined playmaker while Godfrey is the safety net.

This guy knows

I don't know what godfrey your watching.........or what mikell.

Godfrey was solid and there was a reason he was on the roster every season, you guys over-exaggerate......... the guy was solid and better then most give credit for, i went back and watch games from 2011 and 12 it was the usually suspect who would uber fug up a play sherrod martin and nakamura. Mikell has been beat several times this season or hasn't provided over the top help,unless that was the coverage this has happen several times this season. Mikell is good against the run not very much against the pass

Godfrey has never been solid.  I lie part of our fanbse told oursleves b/c we have been so weak at the position for so many seasons.

Every defensive player gets beat.  Mikell is a MUCH more consistent player.  Behind this front 7....that is all we need.  We can't have Norman's, Godfrey's, etc.  Mikell being good against the run automatically makes him BETTER than Godfrey.  Godfrey didn't do either well.

I will say, physically, Godfrey is one of the most talented we have had.  He just isn't a S

How does Godfrey get a contract like that anyway?

My understanding is if we cut him in 2014, we gain roughly 2.1 million in additional cap space. Sounds nice, but then you've also got to fill that roster spot, too.

Because Hurney liked him... Hurney had a bad habit of overpaying guys he was personally fond of. 

Godfrey has never been solid.  I lie part of our fanbse told oursleves b/c we have been so weak at the position for so many seasons.

Every defensive player gets beat.  Mikell is a MUCH more consistent player.  Behind this front 7....that is all we need.  We can't have Norman's, Godfrey's, etc.  Mikell being good against the run automatically makes him BETTER than Godfrey.  Godfrey didn't do either well.

I will say, physically, Godfrey is one of the most talented we have had.  He just isn't a S

We have been weak at the FS position, not the SS position we have always had solid SS play godfrey being one, we have had horrible FS. Mikel isn't getting younger and to put godfrey in the same category as norman is and insult.Only time i've seen godfrey consistenly wiff tackles is his first two years in the league, if the guy restructures and comes back healthy he should start along Mitchell unless the coaching staff believes it's Lester's time.

if Godfrey were willing to renegotiate his contract I would not mind seeing him and Mitchell in the backfield again

I have been a staunch supporter of his for years, but his stint at strong safety concerned me despite him being a free safety. he had a knack for trying to lay the wood as opposed to wrapping up in tackling, and as the last line of defense I want someone that can wrap up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived