• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Second Chance Songs

Captroop

In the same vein as Mr. Scot's thread, what are some songs or bands you changed your opinion about on a second listen?

I recently went back to my CD collection, and started re-listening to the songs I liked as a teenager. Many, as you might suspect, were godawful tripe. But what was really amazed me, is how many I think actually had some merit.

The one that stands out the most in my mind was "My Chemical Romance." I liked them when I was in high school and college, but haven't listened to them in a while. I kind of shelved them for the last 8 years or so once they started getting lumped in with the Emo groups, and my detestation for all things emo led me to distance myself from them. But I listened to "The Black Parade" again, and it's actually pretty damned good! The songs each have complexity, and movements within each track. Tempos changes, good lyrics. The music had some real substance to it. So maybe 17-year-old me had a modicum of taste after all.

Other surprisingly decent notables from my collection were Hanson, Backstreet Boys, TLC and the Cranberries.

U2

I was in high school when War and The Unforgettable Fire were released and at the time very much into metal.  They were college radio poo, hacks, and wouldn't last more than a couple of years.

Joshua Tree dropped and all I could think about was how slick marketing and form over substance had once again duped the American public.

I was soooooo fuging wrong...

i remember thinking linkin park was pretty revolutionary when they came out but listening to them again it's generic poo.

but the one band that took me a second chance to really dig was modest mouse. I remember a friend playing "lonesome crowded west" and i just kept telling him to turn it off i thought it was awful.

then we were driving back up to college listening to "we were dead before the ship even sank" and it clicked. i think it was because someone close to me had just recently died and this song came up on the playlist

went back and listened to all their albums from the beginning and now they are one of my favorite bands

U2

I was in high school when War and The Unforgettable Fire were released and at the time very much into metal.  They were college radio poo, hacks, and wouldn't last more than a couple of years.

Joshua Tree dropped and all I could think about was how slick marketing and form over substance had once again duped the American public.

I was soooooo fuging wrong...

Right there with ya... Boy, War and Joshua their best.

System of a down. When I first heard chop suey when I was younger I had no clue why it was so hype. Now I beg for them to make more music.

Soil was one of the first albums I ever bought. I don't like near as many mainstream rock bands as I used to, but System of a Down remains one of my favorite bands ever.

Archived