• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What I Think Will Happen

NJPanthers12

I don't get all the "cut DeAngelo" talk.  He's our best option at RB, our healthiest option at RB, and we just paid him.  Who will take his place???  Stewart?  That guy can't stay healthy in practice.  Barner??  Lmao.  Some unproven (yet to be drafted) rookie RB that we aren't even positive we'll draft?

DeAngelo won't be cut, simply because we cannot trust Stewart to be healthy and it would be a waste to have to spend a draft pick on a back... and for that matter, he's not bad at this point. He contributed over 1,000 yards of offense to the team and averaged 4.2 YPC, which isn't bad when you consider he only had six runs longer than 20 yards.

I don't think we cut Dwan, either. He provides quality depth at that spot and doesn't cost a lot.

Signing Nicks seems more likely over re-signing Hardy at this point.  I think Gettleman already kind of told us he's letting Hardy walk.

I wouldn't take anything Gettleman said as a sign that we will let him walk... Although I agree he hasn't said anything to make us feel nice and warm inside, you can't take what he said that way.  More than likely, the message he was trying to send is that we aren't going to break the bank for him.  

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/4572/rivera-hard-to-imagine-panthers-without-hardy

^this is one of the few things i've heard that sounds somewhat reassuring

I'm not saying this means that we will definitely keep him.. but if we truly believe he can be an important part of our defense moving forward, they arent gonna just let him walk without trying to make him a reasonable offer.

It would be a bad move to tie up so much money into 1 position (DE). I cant see Gman doing such. 

In the Giants recent history, they put a lot of resources into the DE position.

I'm not sure how high we could go, but its one of the better areas to spend your money.

The NY Giants franchise always bases its defensive system on rushing the passer, and two dominant DE's are very much part of that,  Even when you thought they were good at DE they kept drafting more and more (Kiwanuka, JPP,etc) and that was on top of Tuck, Osi and even Strahan at one point.  If Gettleman is of the same thinking Hardy isnt going anywhere.  I great rotation of CJ, Hardy, Addison, and Alexander is a huge advantage, and will keep our "weaker" secondary from covering too long.  The Giants also drafted CB early as well, with mixed results, and never put too much stock in the LB position which has hurt them recently.  I hope Gettleman follows a similar plan, but doesn't completely neglect any particular tier of the defense..  .     

This offseason is a critical offseason for us. We can either build on our momentum or continue to be an inconsistent franchise. After taking a few weeks to get over the loss to the Ninersi started to think about this offseason. This is what I expect or at least think will happen.

The Panthers start off by franchising Hardy and eventually signing him after they lock up Cam.

I think Cam gets a contract that will make him our franchise QB for the majority of his career.

I believe Jordan Gross signs a 2 year deal that is team friendly.

I expect the Panthers to work out deals with Mike Mitchell, Captain Munnerlyn, and Ted Ginn.

I expect the Panthers to cut loose Charles Godfrey and Dwan Edwards, as well as take a long look at Chase Blackburn.

I truly believe Hakeem Nicks takes a team friendly prove it short term contract with his hometown team.

Finally I expect and really believe DeAngelo Williams will be a July 1 cut

Agree with all but Nicks. But would surprise me that much either.

In the Giants recent history, they put a lot of resources into the DE position.

I'm not sure how high we could go, but its one of the better areas to spend your money.

Not saying Hardy isn't worth keeping.  He's a solid run-defender and an occasionally amazing pass-rusher.  But he was inconsistent.  Gettleman has a tough decision to make but considering Hardy got most of his sacks against rookies and inferior talent (10 of his sacks came in 3 games - Giants, Saints, Falcons) I think he will let him walk.  I could see them signing a veteran DE to be a situational pass rusher ala John Abraham or someone similar (Jared Allen if he's cut?) and giving Frank Alexander a shot.  Opens up money to re-sign other guys that won't break the bank but were big contributors.  Much easier to re-sign suys like Mike Mitchell, Ted Ginn, Captain Munnerlyn, Jordan Gross without Hardy taking up a huge chunk of your cap room.  

Archived